FOUND A BABY...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tanksgirl

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jul 5, 2007
Tennessee
Found a baby in my backyard and rescued it from my dogs. With advice from this site I've managed to get it in a cage with heat lamp, some chick feed, and it's doing well other than getting wet in water dish and then flopping around until it dries out. Through more in depth web searching I now know it's a wild turkey chick, probably only days old. Anyone have any advice? My kids are set on me keeping it.

new at this...Tanya

It will need a high protein food. A local co-op should have it for sale. You should also try and find at least one more since they are a flock animal. For now, you can put a small mirror in with it. Have you dipped its beak in the water? It might have do be done several times unless you have seen it drinking on its own. A cardboard box can be suitable to start out with. If it is in the house now, it might need a lightbulb for heat. Especially, if your running AC. Is it feathered out or still a fluffball? Pictures would help if you have access to a camera. They are rather easy to care for and will be better than a guard dog when older. Let us know how everything goes.
wee.gif

put a bit of sugar in it's water (lukewarm) to start with, it will help with the shock. Like edbama said, get it some game bird/turkey starter. Sprinkle some on the floor of the cage at first. Keep it warm and you will have yourself a nice bird.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom