Found a chick

I would consider getting some vetwrap and bandaging the other wing to her body the same. Then she will feel balanced and if she gets freaky, she won't be flapping in circles getting herself more distressed. When she gets the bandages off, then both wings will gradually get strengthened at even rates as she uses them. Just an idea.

To add, chickens usually calm down and feel safe when you hold them firmly around the wings and body, its a bit like swaddling a baby. So, being bound for a few days could be comforting for her. Also being in the dark is very settling too.

Instead of a water bowl, try teaching her to use a hamster water bottle in her box/cage. It won't tip up and soak the bedding, and keeps the water nice and clean. Mine love theirs.

You can use a medicine syringe to give her antibiotics, and water if need be. Just squirt it slowly into the side of her beak while her head is pointed upwards. You should see her swallow. Mix it with sugar water if she doesn't like the taste. And perhaps add a chicken booster/multivit to her water to help her recover.

To add, chickens usually calm down and feel safe when you hold them firmly around the wings and body, its a bit like swaddling a baby. So, being bound for a few days could be comforting for her. Also being in the dark is very settling too.

Instead of a water bowl, try teaching her to use a hamster water bottle in her box/cage. It won't tip up and soak the bedding, and keeps the water nice and clean. Mine love theirs.

You can use a medicine syringe to give her antibiotics, and water if need be. Just squirt it slowly into the side of her beak while her head is pointed upwards. You should see her swallow. Mix it with sugar water if she doesn't like the taste. And perhaps add a chicken booster/multivit to her water to help her recover.
Thanks for the advice! I might try to wrap her other wing but I feel like she won’t be able to stand at all because she’s already so top heavy. She reminds me of a little bowling pin right now 😂 She started taking little sips of water out of the bowl but I’m going to pick up a water bottle for her today. Her freak outs and bowls of water definitely don’t mix!

Thank you! I’ve been a vegetarian most of my life so a chicken is no different than a cat or dog to me. I think it imprinted on me so I’m committed to this little chicken now 😆
Haha! Does she have a name?
It doesn’t have to be good. The first chicken I ever fell in love with was a nameless bird that belonged to a neighbor. She was a RIR. Actually a RIR. Pretty close to show quality actually, a gorgeous mahogany color.
She was Lil’ Chicken.

Haha! Does she have a name?
It doesn’t have to be good. The first chicken I ever fell in love with was a nameless bird that belonged to a neighbor. She was a RIR. Actually a RIR. Pretty close to show quality actually, a gorgeous mahogany color.
She was Lil’ Chicken.
I have a chicken literally called No Name so I feel ya on the name game. Another one is Blue, because she’s blue. Buffy because she’s buff, Roo Man because obviously he’s a rooster, yeah you get the point 😂

Thanks for the advice! I might try to wrap her other wing but I feel like she won’t be able to stand at all because she’s already so top heavy. She reminds me of a little bowling pin right now 😂 She started taking little sips of water out of the bowl but I’m going to pick up a water bottle for her today. Her freak outs and bowls of water definitely don’t mix!
Water bottle?
Usually chickens drink out of waterers.

Well a hamster water bottle could work.
Depends what kind of water bottle they mean.

Hopefully the little bean will feel better soon.

Back
Top Bottom