Found a chick

Pics

smopey

Chirping
Aug 3, 2020
Hello!
This little chicken wandered into my yard the other day. I have zero chicken experience. Can someone tell me what kind of chicken this is, approximate age and if it’s a male or female? TIA!

1C680A53-6917-46F2-984E-E2EB979C9EA6.jpeg

C49491CD-A023-4D31-8269-86550479E53D.jpeg

Update! Nugget is back from the vet! They were able to fix her wing so she only had to spend the night there instead of a week so it actually saved me a couple hundred bucks! 🙌 The vet said they cut off the dead bone and put some bone wax on it and bandaged her up. They said she shouldn’t have a problem healing since she’s so young.

She definitely hates the bandage and has been having little freak out moments. She’ll be fine, dozing off, and then will suddenly remember where she is and starts screaming and trying to back up into a corner 😞 I’m not sure if it’s from the bandage restricting her movement or she’s just traumatized. Maybe a little of both? The wing is bandaged to her side with cohesive tape so it’s really throwing her balance off. She can’t really stand or walk on her own because of it. She’s also terrified of her water bowl? I can’t seem to get her to drink from it. No issues with the feeder or eating but it seems like she forgot how to drink from a bowl or something. That’s my main concern right now... she only took a tiny bit of water off my finger earlier. I also have antibiotics to give her through a syringe, so that should be fun. I read a few articles on how to do it but I’m nervous about the liquid going down the wrong tube. I might try to put it on a piece of bread and see if she’ll eat that. Any advice is appreciated!!

202CBD93-B91D-4450-90D5-77DFE847843D.jpeg

A9AF5A22-65C2-4B41-8FDC-4D6E93E7FBEF.jpeg

Sorry these pics are sideways. Can’t seem to get them to upload the correct way.

Have you asked any of the neighbors or anything if they’re missing a chicken? Do other people near you have chickens? A chick that young likely wouldn’t have wandered far. I think you should look locally first to see if anyone is missing one before giving it away. Although it is possible it was dumped. But I would look around first.

Back
Top Bottom