Found a chick

Maybe you can get it at least one buddy?
I'm glad they are treating it.
Wow! I am sorry! Ignore my big long reply I made earlier tonight. I had not caught up. I am amazed at you. My advice would still stand but you are serious about owning chickens I see. Just get her a buddy and you are in the chicken business for sure but not to make money cause you are already in the hole. You are doing good to find a vet who actually sees chickens. I can’t get them to do that where I live. They are above that or below that I think. Vets in the southern United States don’t seem to think treating backyard flock chickens are worth their time yet but I think before the next decade is over that will
Change due to the number of ByF owners growing and growing. Good luck
With your baby and if I can offer any help
To you feel free to message me anytime on here. I am about asleep right now. I can type better usually. Have a great night and best of luck with her surgery. Let us know how it comes out.

Just came across this thread... thank you for saving her! She'll be happy with her buddy until you move. Most people wouldn't drop $600 on a chicken, especially one they've just randomly found. You have a good heart.
Thank you! I’ve been a vegetarian most of my life so a chicken is no different than a cat or dog to me. I think it imprinted on me so I’m committed to this little chicken now 😆

Wow! I am sorry! Ignore my big long reply I made earlier tonight. I had not caught up. I am amazed at you. My advice would still stand but you are serious about owning chickens I see. Just get her a buddy and you are in the chicken business for sure but not to make money cause you are already in the hole. You are doing good to find a vet who actually sees chickens. I can’t get them to do that where I live. They are above that or below that I think. Vets in the southern United States don’t seem to think treating backyard flock chickens are worth their time yet but I think before the next decade is over that will
Change due to the number of ByF owners growing and growing. Good luck
With your baby and if I can offer any help
To you feel free to message me anytime on here. I am about asleep right now. I can type better usually. Have a great night and best of luck with her surgery. Let us know how it comes out.
Thank you for your honest advice! I appreciate the input. I’ve always wanted to raise chickens but put the idea on the back burner until I had my own house. This is definitely not an ideal situation but I’m eager to learn and give this chicken (and future chickens) the best life possible. I live in Pennsylvania and was surprised to find there are quite a few vets who work on chickens around here. That was definitely a concern of mine when I was thinking about having them; I wanted to be sure I had a reliable vet who could treat them because I’ve owned “exotic” pets before and know how stressful it can be to find a vet who knows what they’re doing and doesn’t charge an arm and a leg (apparently $600 is cheap for chicken surgery 🤷🏻‍♀️). I’m grateful for the internet and forums like this where I can learn the ins and outs of raising chickens! You’ll definitely be seeing me around here more often 😊

Welcome to Chicken Math!!

20200806_235014.jpg

Thank you for your honest advice! I appreciate the input. I’ve always wanted to raise chickens but put the idea on the back burner until I had my own house. This is definitely not an ideal situation but I’m eager to learn and give this chicken (and future chickens) the best life possible. I live in Pennsylvania and was surprised to find there are quite a few vets who work on chickens around here. That was definitely a concern of mine when I was thinking about having them; I wanted to be sure I had a reliable vet who could treat them because I’ve owned “exotic” pets before and know how stressful it can be to find a vet who knows what they’re doing and doesn’t charge an arm and a leg (apparently $600 is cheap for chicken surgery 🤷🏻‍♀️). I’m grateful for the internet and forums like this where I can learn the ins and outs of raising chickens! You’ll definitely be seeing me around here more often 😊
I hate $600 is what you have to pay for her surgery. Wow! But I wish you and her the best! BYC is the place to learn for sure. A wealth of knowledge in the information here and also from the people for sure. I also have folks from the other half of my family in the Keystone State! Up near Dubois and Clearfield and State College. Does that ring any bells? PA is a far cry from MS in having VETs for exotic pets for sure. We have an awesome Vet school at Miss State about an hour from me but locally I can’t find veterinarians to see chickens in backyard flocks. They just won’t. Blows my mind. The need is got to be there. The money has to be by now with all the pandemic buying everyone out of stock in birds, feed, supplies, husbandry items, meds, etc wire fencing the works. I just don’t get it. The need is there. It has to be. Well I will get out of your hair and again wish you the best and hope all goes well with your beginning surprise flock. Name yet?

I hate $600 is what you have to pay for her surgery. Wow! But I wish you and her the best! BYC is the place to learn for sure. A wealth of knowledge in the information here and also from the people for sure. I also have folks from the other half of my family in the Keystone State! Up near Dubois and Clearfield and State College. Does that ring any bells? PA is a far cry from MS in having VETs for exotic pets for sure. We have an awesome Vet school at Miss State about an hour from me but locally I can’t find veterinarians to see chickens in backyard flocks. They just won’t. Blows my mind. The need is got to be there. The money has to be by now with all the pandemic buying everyone out of stock in birds, feed, supplies, husbandry items, meds, etc wire fencing the works. I just don’t get it. The need is there. It has to be. Well I will get out of your hair and again wish you the best and hope all goes well with your beginning surprise flock. Name yet?
Thank you! I’ve already learned a lot on here! State College is about 3 hours from me. I live in the Poconos, closer to the NJ/PA border and about 1.5 hours from NYC. My regular vet, who unfortunately doesn’t treat chickens, gave me a list of places that do and the first 2-3 I called were booked for weeks. So there’s definitely a demand for it! The place I went to is called Creature Comforts in Saylorsburg, PA in case anyone in this area is searching for a vet. They’re open 24 hours too!

We named her Nugget but we mostly call her Chicky. So little Chicky Nugget 😆 She just gotta back from the vet last night so I’ll post an update below!

Update! Nugget is back from the vet! They were able to fix her wing so she only had to spend the night there instead of a week so it actually saved me a couple hundred bucks! 🙌 The vet said they cut off the dead bone and put some bone wax on it and bandaged her up. They said she shouldn’t have a problem healing since she’s so young.

She definitely hates the bandage and has been having little freak out moments. She’ll be fine, dozing off, and then will suddenly remember where she is and starts screaming and trying to back up into a corner 😞 I’m not sure if it’s from the bandage restricting her movement or she’s just traumatized. Maybe a little of both? The wing is bandaged to her side with cohesive tape so it’s really throwing her balance off. She can’t really stand or walk on her own because of it. She’s also terrified of her water bowl? I can’t seem to get her to drink from it. No issues with the feeder or eating but it seems like she forgot how to drink from a bowl or something. That’s my main concern right now... she only took a tiny bit of water off my finger earlier. I also have antibiotics to give her through a syringe, so that should be fun. I read a few articles on how to do it but I’m nervous about the liquid going down the wrong tube. I might try to put it on a piece of bread and see if she’ll eat that. Any advice is appreciated!!

202CBD93-B91D-4450-90D5-77DFE847843D.jpeg

A9AF5A22-65C2-4B41-8FDC-4D6E93E7FBEF.jpeg

Sorry these pics are sideways. Can’t seem to get them to upload the correct way.

Update! Nugget is back from the vet! They were able to fix her wing so she only had to spend the night there instead of a week so it actually saved me a couple hundred bucks! 🙌 The vet said they cut off the dead bone and put some bone wax on it and bandaged her up. They said she shouldn’t have a problem healing since she’s so young.

She definitely hates the bandage and has been having little freak out moments. She’ll be fine, dozing off, and then will suddenly remember where she is and starts screaming and trying to back up into a corner 😞 I’m not sure if it’s from the bandage restricting her movement or she’s just traumatized. Maybe a little of both? The wing is bandaged to her side with cohesive tape so it’s really throwing her balance off. She can’t really stand or walk on her own because of it. She’s also terrified of her water bowl? I can’t seem to get her to drink from it. No issues with the feeder or eating but it seems like she forgot how to drink from a bowl or something. That’s my main concern right now... she only took a tiny bit of water off my finger earlier. I also have antibiotics to give her through a syringe, so that should be fun. I read a few articles on how to do it but I’m nervous about the liquid going down the wrong tube. I might try to put it on a piece of bread and see if she’ll eat that. Any advice is appreciated!!

View attachment 2280108

View attachment 2280118

Sorry these pics are sideways. Can’t seem to get them to upload the correct way.
I had a little chick that had to wear bandages. Freakout mode is normal and I promise she will survive and be well adjusted (or at least not have issues related to being bandaged). It's new to her and she will get used to it. Hopefully she heals quickly and smoothly!

I had a little chick that had to wear bandages. Freakout mode is normal and I promise she will survive and be well adjusted (or at least not have issues related to being bandaged). It's new to her and she will get used to it. Hopefully she heals quickly and smoothly!
Thanks! I hope so too. She has to go back to the vet in a week for a recheck so hopefully the bandage comes off then. This poor little chick has been through so much!

Back
Top Bottom