FOUND A CHICKEN? help.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Faded Intimacy, Apr 26, 2008.

1. Faded Intimacy

Faded Intimacy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2008
    We cant catch her! shes VERY freaked out. any advice? I went out with some bread but shes too freaked out.

How can I catch her? NOONE around us owns chickens..
    Cant figure out where she came from. shes DEFINETLY a hen...
    Hellpp!

her beak is bleeding [​IMG] We have cats and Im worried one will get to her before I do...

Last edited: Apr 26, 2008
  2. Bawkadoodledoo

Bawkadoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    Central MA
    do you have any corn on hand? sit outside and toss it around so she's interested. post back if she eats some

3. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    my husband would use a dip net for fishing.... especially if she is bleeding, I would try to catch her as soon as possible.

4. Faded Intimacy

Faded Intimacy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2008
    No corn, and no net.. went out with some wild bird food.. shes gone [​IMG] Hoping I'll see her later..

5. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    You may want to get a small bag of chicken feed or go to your local farm store and ask for a free sample that you are trying to rescue this hen. Trying to get her into a secure area so that you can check her better or keep her would be best. Good Luck and hope she comes back. [​IMG]

6. kyfarmer

kyfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2007
    this is what i would do watch where she roosts and then catch her at nite [​IMG]

7. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    I completely agree with kyfarmer. It will be easy to catch once it goes to roost ..that is if you see it again.

8. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    any idea what kind she is? My neighbor has a commercial barn and raises Leghorns, when the truck comes to get them theres usually one right outside the lane and one down the highway. Unfortunately they dont have a chance to make it alive.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2008
  9. perfectly_polish

perfectly_polish Overrun With Chickens

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    Faded keep us updated! Good luck [​IMG]

10. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Look for her in a low tree branch after it gets dark (take a flashlight).

I hate to recommend this because I don't like when people use them, but you can make a "chicken leg grabber" out of a wire clothes hanger. Just pull the hanger apart and bend it into a straight line, except leave the curved end on and even curve it a little tighter. Then if you can get within 3-4 feet of her in a corner, you can quick hook it around a leg and pull her towards you fast before she can get away and then quick pick her up with your hands.. You have to be really fast to do this and I wouldn't recommend it unless you can do it right. It's not nice, and will stress her out, but in your situation, it might be the thing to do. By the way, I have never done this with my chickens, I've just seen someone else do it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by