Found a chicken - I think I want to keep it!

Wow. You did an amazing job.

I hope you do get chickens
smile.png

Quote:
He told me he was going to keep her as a pet. He was very loving towards her. He held her close to his body and was petting her. I think he liked her because she was so gentle.

I am choosing to believe him when he says he'll keep her as a pet.

You decided you did not wish to keep her as a pet? You did a good job with her!

I would have kept her if I was all set up and had the fenced area and a coop. It's going to take some time for me to get that together. So I thought this would be the best for her.

J's Orpingtons :

Quote:
YES! But first a coop. I already know where I want it. I just need to clean the area up a bit, fence it off, build a coop and then I will get some chickens.

Good for you
thumbsup.gif
do you know what breed your getting?​

Well, I think I would like to get 4 chickens. I want a White Leghorn - cause that's what I though Pecker was
smile.png

Maybe a Rhode Island Red. I'm not sure. I may just take whatever I can get here.

I just can't wait to have some fresh eggs. I have never had anything other than store bought eggs. Ever! So I am really looking forward to my first egg
big_smile.png

Get a barred rock - that's the best starter breed. They are extremely friendly and beautiful. You can also tell a girl from a boy once they are feathered
smile.png

White leghorns are wild from every chicken owner I've talked to. They aren't calm and friendly like some. Barred rocks are wonderful layers as well. Can't say anything negative about the RIR either though. Just got a girl not too long ago, and she is very beautiful <3

There's a great thread going right now - "If you could only have 10 chickens..." - talks about what breed you'd pick and why. It's really interesting - you might want to check it out for ideas
smile.png

HI! I just read this entire thread. It was riveting!
lol.png
The before and after pics were amazing. That chicken was very fortunate to have landed in front of your house.

There's a thread here for us in San Diego. From time to time we have chicken meet-ups. Very often we have birds that were looking to find homes for or birds for sale. It's nice knowing where the birds come from. Plus it's just fun getting together. Here's the link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=384942

I'm
in Julian and I have a variety of different breeds. If you're ever in my neck of the woods let me know. I love showing off my flock! Great job taking care of Pecker
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom