Found a chicken - I think I want to keep it!

Murs

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 23, 2011
North SD County
I came home last Monday morning and there was a beat up chicken in my front yard. I couldn't just leave it for the racoons or coyotes so I got out my dog kennel, put her inside and brought her in the backyard. I kept the kennel up on the patio table because I wasn't sure how my dog would react. I fed her some oats and gave her some water. Then I went to the internet because I know NOTHING about caring for chickens. I was brought to this site on every topic I searched on google so I thought I would become a Member.

From what I have researched I think she is a white leghorn. She doesn't walk well although she has been doing better the last couple days. She is very friendly. I can pet her and pick her up with no problem. Today is the first day I let her run free in my backyard. She enjoys it. I also introduced her to my Belgian Shepherd and they love eachother! She is VERY smart and has already tried to get in my house through the doggie door.

I have no idea how old she is or if she will lay eggs. She looks like she went through some rough times before getting to my house. I went to the feed store and got some wood shavings (a towel was just not working - Yuck!) and some layer food granules. I guess my next step is a coop. Right now she sleeps in the kennel. Today I added a perch. I cover it completely at night because it gets foggy in the early mornings and to ward off any predators. Coyotes can't get in my yard but Racoons can.

Soooooo..... I guess I'm going to be a chicken owner.

What do I do now??

Omgosh! Did you ever come to the right place! I rescued a small flock not long ago and like you, no clue about chickens! The people here are absolutely top notch! Any question I ever had, I got answers. (and still do!!!) "Forum Search" has been my right arm in this venture! Awesome information everywhere!

Good luck and great job in your rescue!

Omgosh! Did you ever come to the right place! I rescued a small flock not long ago and like you, no clue about chickens! The people here are absolutely top notch! Any question I ever had, I got answers. (and still do!!!) "Forum Search" has been my right arm in this venture! Awesome information everywhere!

Good luck and great job in your rescue!
I just want to make sure you are aware the OP may not reply..it has been years since this thread was updated. ;)

welcome-byc.gif
from the Finger Lakes of New York! Coming here is a great start. Browsing through the topics will give you a good beginning.

thumbsup.gif

Belgians and chickens are great companions!
Glad to see another belgian lover. I've got 3 generations of boys, they all love my chickens.
Chickieonsharpie3.jpg

Welcome!

Back
Top Bottom