Found a chicken - I think I want to keep it!

Murs

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 23, 2011
North SD County
I came home last Monday morning and there was a beat up chicken in my front yard. I couldn't just leave it for the racoons or coyotes so I got out my dog kennel, put her inside and brought her in the backyard. I kept the kennel up on the patio table because I wasn't sure how my dog would react. I fed her some oats and gave her some water. Then I went to the internet because I know NOTHING about caring for chickens. I was brought to this site on every topic I searched on google so I thought I would become a Member.

From what I have researched I think she is a white leghorn. She doesn't walk well although she has been doing better the last couple days. She is very friendly. I can pet her and pick her up with no problem. Today is the first day I let her run free in my backyard. She enjoys it. I also introduced her to my Belgian Shepherd and they love eachother! She is VERY smart and has already tried to get in my house through the doggie door.

I have no idea how old she is or if she will lay eggs. She looks like she went through some rough times before getting to my house. I went to the feed store and got some wood shavings (a towel was just not working - Yuck!) and some layer food granules. I guess my next step is a coop. Right now she sleeps in the kennel. Today I added a perch. I cover it completely at night because it gets foggy in the early mornings and to ward off any predators. Coyotes can't get in my yard but Racoons can.

Soooooo..... I guess I'm going to be a chicken owner.

What do I do now??

welcome-byc.gif
from the Finger Lakes of New York! Coming here is a great start. Browsing through the topics will give you a good beginning.

thumbsup.gif

Belgians and chickens are great companions!
Glad to see another belgian lover. I've got 3 generations of boys, they all love my chickens.
Chickieonsharpie3.jpg

Welcome!

Next step, coop! She needs a safe place to call home or you will be very sad when a predator finds her. Then.... she needs friends! Chickens do best when they are in a flock, large or small. Other than that, you are off to a great start! Welcome!

Back
Top Bottom