Found a CL ad, this person needs help with feeding their flock

Desert Rooster

El Gallo Del Desierto
9 Years
Sep 4, 2010
Hesperia, Ca
MODS, NOT SURE IF THIS IS THE CORRECT PLACE TO PUT THIS, BUT MOVE IF NECESSARY AND I APOLOGIZE.

I found this ad on craigslist today, this person is looking for food for their chickens, it looks like they are having some kind of problems and cannot get feed for them.
Looks like this person lives in Riverside, CA near lake matthews
I wish i lived closer so i would give this person a whole bag of feed, and ask for nothing in return.

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/grd/2587465167.html

Last edited:
Quote:
it sounds to me from the ad as if their problem is longer term, and if that's the case, rehoming is probably a better plan. Riverside county has a really nice, new animal control facility and can properly care for chickens if they were to surrender them. there are plenty of folks who would take them if free or priced low.

on the other hand, one way you could help, if you like, is to contact the person and offer to buy them a bag of feed. should be easy enough to call their feed store and purchase it on your CC for that person to pick up.

it's pretty rough in riverside county right now. Riverside and neighboring San Bernardino counties are amoung the very highest in the country for unemployment for the last couple of years. I've got some friends there and it's really a struggle to live there with this economy. everything's expensive, everything is far apart, gas is high and jobs are scarce.

I hope someone helps them. Wish I were closer too... Sometimes when someone is going through very hard times, it's their pets that keep them going. Not to mention the eggs may be of great value for them. They are trying to trade things they have to ensure their chickens are taken care of, not asking for a handout, which I find respectable. They obviously care for the chickens. With all the unwanted animals out there, if someone is trying to be creative and find ways to be able to care for and keep them, I certainly wouldn't discourage it.

Last edited:
Quote:
x2!

x3. I get so tired of people on Freecycle asking for a ferret cage or a hamster cage or rabbit bedding for the impulse purchase they made for their child. But this guy is willing to work for the food or trade items of some value. I hope someone is able to help and his ad doesn't get flagged.

I'm always suspicious of posts like this. A great way to get unknowing people to reach out to them in such an innocent sounding way. If you think about it, he apparently can afford a cell phone with text messaging. He's desperate for help, but doesn't want a phone call. Just do a google search of people who have been ripped off or assaulted responding to craigslist ads.

I don't know. He might have a limited minute plan, but unlimited txt. I get that type of phone for my neice. $25 a month gave her unlimited txt but only 200 minutes which were for emegency usuage, or family calls...

But I agree, atleast he's willing to work, or trade it. It might be a she.

Quote:
Actually in most places, if someone is on disability or something similar, they are given a basic cell phone that is allotted a very small amount of minutes each month for emergencies. I have a disabled family member from a car accident, so I know this, but it may not apply everywhere.
Also, a phone IS a necessity, and perhaps they have a cell instead of landline. Most people I know do. (Nova also gave good example) Or maybe, they're trying to trade their belongings for chicken food as a big scam. I highly doubt it though, and I try not to quickly judge people unless I have good reason to.
As someone who's worked since a teenager to support myself/ my family, I surely don't like people who take advantage of others and expect handouts either, but that's not how I see this situation. I still hope someone helps them.

Quote:
I see where mikenorthwest is coming from, BUT, I just think it is so sad at how cynical our nation has become. It is heartwrenching that yu can't trust anyone anymore. Maybe this person on CL is sincere, but with the way the world is now, who can be sure?
I just hope that if they ARE in fact sincere, that they can get help.

Back
Top Bottom