Found a dead hen on the nest :(

anthonymichael

Hatching
Jun 14, 2016
Hollister, CA
Haven't seen a hen in two days. Figured she was laying each day I checked. Went in to collect eggs and there she was. She was clearly dead but looked as if she fell asleep on her eggs and never got up. I'm so sad. Wish I could have prevented this. Any ideas? I'm new to raising chickens; 9 months now. But I've done so much research and have been in some instances a better chicken owner than others I know. Any information is welcomed. I suspect maybe she was egg bound based on my research, but I've never experienced that. Thank you for your time and God bless.

In the picture she is the cream colored one. My poor baby :(

Omg I'm so embarrassed. I went to get her from the nest. She startled me. She is alive. Just appeared dead. I believe she is egg bound. But it's been 2 or 3 days. I'm glad she's alive. What should I do to help her? I've read about baths, oil, manually removing an egg. To be honest I'm really nervous.

Wow, I'm so happy she is alive! Does she look likes she's straining or can you feel an egg? I'd get her in a warm bath ASAP! You can also use some sort of lubrication and try to grease around/in her vent and massage the area. Hopefully if she's egg bound a nice long warm soak will do the trick.

Update to my post, this hen went broody. I'm a newbie and panicked. I got her at 6 months. I was surprised. This was a great first experience with highs and lows, and embarrassment from my first post. She hatched 3 of 4. One died of a peck wound from I'm guessing the rooster. She was moved. Then one got sick and died. Now we have one chick. Thinking of placing a chicken or 2 from the store. Would that be ok?

If I get a 10 day old chick, plus or minus a day, and she doesn't accept it will she hurt it, if its placed in the enclosure with her and her current chick? I made a separate corral for her.

Not a good idea. A chick must be under 72 hours old for it to accept a hen as it's mother/heat source. And a hen will not accept any new chicks, regardless of age, after about 72 hours from the first chick hatched.
If you try to place a chick in with her now, she will likely see it as a threat to the chick she is mothering, and kill it.

I think momma hen will be happy mothering her single chick. I had two bantams go broody on the same nest with four eggs. One egg rotted, one vanished without a trace a day before it was due to hatch, one hatched with injuries and died shortly after, and one tiny little one hatched perfectly. So this tiny little chick (I nicknamed their "little golfball" because she was smaller than a golfball when she hatched) is under the watchful eye of two doting mommas and they share all the mothering duties as a happy little trio. They take turns pinging the other chickens and ducks in the head that get too close. It probably helped that both momma's were rescued and rehabilitated together so they are use to eating/sleeping/living in close quarters together. Congrats on your baby chick!

Back
Top Bottom