1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Found a dirty Rooster.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Eanwulfx, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Eanwulfx

Eanwulfx Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2012
    Today at 10am a neighbor came over thinking he had found one of my chickens. While, I DO own a silkie- this one is most definatly not mine. Its a blue splash silkie roo. Its very dirty and had pasty butt. I have posted him as a foundling on criagslist and at the local petstore. Should I bathe and treat him for mites //now// rather then waiting to see if an owner turns up? I feel like I should but I dont want to accadently cause him to get ill.

Roosters are not legal in my area, But this seems like far to nice of a chicken to be a dump off.

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I'd bathe him for sure. No need for him to be disgusting while waiting on an answer.

Poor guy :(

3. Eanwulfx

Oct 29, 2012
    Bathed the chicken, It smells much nicer now and is less caked in poo-dirt, but I noticed that the birds crop seems to be inflated with Air? Im a newb, so is this normal?

4. aoxa

I've seen this in young chicks around their necks, but it wasn't really the crop.. It went away a bit later. Not sure what it was caused by :confused:

ETA: Okay.. I know now :)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/58721/chicken-has-air-pocket-under-skin

It will reabsorb the air itself over time. That's what happened with my two chicks.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  5. Eanwulfx

Oct 29, 2012
    Thank you so much for finding that for me. So, I am just going to let it alone and set it up some temporary digs. Hope my kids dont get to attached to it, I figure a bird like this has to have a home.

6. aoxa

Are you sure it's a rooster?

Hope all goes well. Silkies aren't to hard to find homes for, even the boys.

7. Eanwulfx

Oct 29, 2012
    No, I am honestly not sure its a rooster- but it has a tiny little walnut comb that the crest moves back from but its otherwise a nice round puffball. Looks like it had a hard molt its missing a good number of primary feathers/leg features and has porcupine quill replacements growing in.

8. aoxa

Can you take some pictures? It could be an adult hen. You may have just got lucky and caught a free silkie girl :)

9. Eanwulfx

Oct 29, 2012
    [​IMG]This is the bird that was found post bath. The pictures are from my cell phone. Its a lovely bird about 1/2 the size of my other silkie. If his or her owner does not turn up I am inclined to keep it.
    [​IMG]

10. aoxa

Nothing about that bird screams rooster to me at all. Maybe your other silkie is just bigger by nature, or this one is a smaller than average silkie.. Or maybe it is just young. I do have a silkie who is half the size of the others. She is a tiny little thing, and her 5 month old kids are already bigger then her. She is 2 years old almost.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by