Found a Duckling...HELP!

FogTownChix

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 17, 2011
While driving home from our local farm supply store I spotted a mallard duckling flopping around on our main road (next to it's two run over siblings). I pulled over, stopped traffic and scooped it up. No momma duck or other siblings in sight. Across the road (about four lanes of traffic in either direction) is a drainage ditch that is drying up and we're thinking that the parents nested there when it was nice and wet, and then may have had to move on for survival.

So, long story short, I've got a mallard duckling to take care of. It is quite feisty and peeps very loudly when it is distressed. It's made some very healthy looking droppings. No pin feathers yet, but distinct markings in the fluff. I'm feeding it some chick formula that I got from our vet when one of our chicks was hurt, and I've got food and water in the box with it.

So...what else can I do to help the duckling's survival? Would it help to get another chick so it won't be so alone (my current chicks are MUCh bigger and pecked at the duckling a bit)? Should it have some greens to eat as well?

Thanks in advance for all your help and good advice.

I would not give it any greens or roughage yet. Keep it warm like you would your chicks. You can always put a small stuffed animal in with it for comfort. something really fuzzy to cuddle up with. it's peeping really loud calling for its mother. try to keep it calm, warm, and stable. Iam sure you have a ton of others on here that can help you with the specialized stuff.

Good luck with your new baby! I am sure you will do fine.

Thanks! We've got a stuffed animal in there, and trying to keep it warm and dark so it stays calm. Glad to know I'm on the right track.

Try a mirror, so it won't think it is alone. What a wonder excuse to get another little duckling at the feed store tomorrow to raise with it!!!
lol.png

Try a mirror, so it won't think it is alone. What a wonder excuse to get another little duckling at the feed store tomorrow to raise with it!!!
lol.png

UMMMMM not sure why that posted twice.. sorry.

Last edited:
Quote:
Sadly our feed store doesn't sell ducklings right now...so I was wondering if a chick would help ease it's loneliness. I'll try the mirror too. Our vet should be home tomorrow & I'm hoping she can help too.

I have a our ducklings in with a few chicks.. They seem to be doing really well together. Of course, I'll keep watching, but there is one chick that thinks its a duck and hangs out with them more then the other chicks..
smile.png

My ducklings are eating some greens and they are only days old. I cut up dandelions and romaine lettuce into tiny pieces and they go nuts over it. They even went crazy for some minced up grapes!

Back
Top Bottom