Free ranging ducks going in the road -- will getting rid of drakes help?

kimwg

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 5, 2018
Hi all -- i have a problem with my small flock of laying ducks (khaki campbells, golden hybrids, and silver appleyards). they split into 2-3 groups during the day when free ranging, each with 1-2 drakes. One group visits the neighbors yard and that;s about it, but a second group will take off when it's rainy, and go down or even across my busy road. (The road has a drainage ditch along the side that becomes irresistible to them when it fills with water).) They almost caused an accident yesterday when they were in the road (someone was in the wrong lane with their car, trying to shelter them from oncoming traffic), so we need to do something about them. I was starting to put an ad up to sell them all, but I am wondering if getting rid of the drakes might make them less prone to wander off? Any suggestions aside from confining them to their coop/run?

Rats. due to various aspects of the way the property and the road is set up, there's just not an easy way to fence them in in the area on our property where they most like to hang out. Well, at least the muscovies are content to stay here!

If they have a coop [and hopefully they do] build a run attached to it. And then only let them out when they can be supervised. I can't imagine having poultry without fencing. There are just too many things that will take them,Cars predators including neighbors dogs. And you surely don't want to cause an accident.

My drakes have been happier to stay close to my coop and run....they only go away from it when the girls leave.
Do they have a pool, food, and grit, with constant access close to the coop?
Is there any appealing forage where you are?
I agree that getting rid of the drake(s) won’t solve your problem.
Containing them to a run attached to the coop and making sure that they have everything they need between the coop and the run IMO is your best bet :/
Once they know that all of the goodies are in the run, in my experience, they are much more willing to stay closer to the run and coop.
My Khaki Campbells were fantastic layers, and escape artists. I’ve switched my flock to Welsh Harlequin and have had many fewer issues....
I’ve not had the other breeds that you mentioned, so I can’t speak to that...

Back
Top Bottom