Wanderlust in call ducks

Feb 19, 2023
Hi everyone,

I have 3 grey call duck drakes. 2 of which keep “running away” and sometimes the 3rd joins them, other times not. Coincidentally, they keep going north.

I am wondering if they are trying to migrate instinctively or if they just hate me.

Unfortunately, it’s unsafe to step off my property, especially north because there is a busy road. So they have been imprisoned and I have plans to prevent this from happening. Luckily, they don’t care to fly, they were raised with chickens and flightless ducks so they never really learned it as a means of transportation. They do run surprisingly fast on their little legs though.

These ducks don’t dislike me, I don’t think. They may be timid at times but they were 3 of the 4 ducks I first owned. They’ve been well loved and they know they are safe with me. I will do anything to accommodate any of my birds and I hate to see them consistently try to leave. I don’t know why they are doing this as none of our birds have had any issues free ranging without trailing too far off our property. Even so, we have open fields on all sides of the property, but they are only going into the northern one which comes to the busy road. They have safer fields with more food, coverage, and water and they still choose the barren mud field. They aren’t really foraging, they just simply walk north and sometimes huddle up in some tall grass. Anytime I caught them, they act like a group of teenage boys who got sneaking out past curfew and disappointedly head back home.

There is more possibly relevant information, so feel free to ask questions. But I need advice as to why they may be doing this

Thank you!

I don't know why they are doing this but I am glad you keeping them from wandering towards the road. Just heard of some ducks being hit by a car from wandering too far.

Do you have females? They maybe just so hormonal they have no idea what they are doing this time of year. lol

I don't know why they are doing this but I am glad you keeping them from wandering towards the road. Just heard of some ducks being hit by a car from wandering too far.

Do you have females? They maybe just so hormonal they have no idea what they are doing this time of year. lol
That’s so sad :( I would be absolutely devastated if anything happened to them.

I have a lot of hens, but the mature adults aren’t bantam breeds so they kind of struggle lol. They’ve never seemed to be bothered by being the smallest though. However, I just hatched 7 more calls so they have friends their size. They are just a year old and just went through their first mating season, so I don’t doubt that they are hormonal and confused!

Soon they will have ducks their size and hopefully, some females which they may start teaching these to follow so your going to have to work cut out for ya, if they aren't fenced in.
Yes, they are already a handful but I love what I do. They do have an enclosed run and I will be putting fencing up so that they are still able to free range. The small ones seem the naughtiest for sure 😂😊

Attachments

• 10DAC06C-F2D5-483B-8F46-387317D96D8A.jpeg
    10DAC06C-F2D5-483B-8F46-387317D96D8A.jpeg
    994.1 KB · Views: 8
I have 4 Call Duck Drake boys that I call my Mafia boys. Their real names are Itsy, Bitsy, Teenie an Weenie. They will hide in my free range pen when it is time to be put up. Now they are separated from my 11 Hens as they were being bad boys to them. I have one Black Swedish Call that hatched out from one of my large Hens, not for sure which one. It has a pointed tail and all of my 4 boys have a square off one. Could this mean it is a Hen I wonder? Do you know since you have Calls also? It is not old enough yet to quack and I was just wanting to know the sex of it. Thanks for any info you might have.

Back
Top Bottom