What do you do to get new ducks to integrate into the flock?

thoeffel1994

Songster
11 Years
Feb 14, 2013
I introduced 9 new ducks to my flock recently and they just do not get along with the kahki campbells. They sort of stay off in their own groups and when they do get near each other they don't get along. Will they ever get along or will they sort of keep together in their own groups? The Muscovy drake and them get along just fine though. It's so strange.

Usually, the best way to introduce new ducks to an existing flock is have them live side by side for a while so they can get to know each other. Hopefully, the more your groups are together the more used to each other they will get and eventually get along I have Muscovy and Runners and Buffs. My Runners and Buffs hatched together so they are one flock my Muscovy are a flock unto themselves. They get along okay but during mating season I keep the Runners and Buffs separated from the Muscovy because my Runner drake will not leave the Muscovy females alone and thinks it's great fun to chase them down. They are 12 yrs old and don't need this.
But during off-season, they tolerate each other fine. They each have their own coops too.

Thanks for posting about this. I have a couple that I’d like to add to the flock and am just WAITING for mating season to end. It might work better with the drakes separate if we can get them to neutral territory somehow. Both groups have claimed the pond >_< but the new Hero Twins (as I like to call them) are chasing off the other ladies, who are not so big without their boys.

I’m tempted to put all the ladies in the aviary together (sans drakes) and see if they’re mellow. But will wait.

What have you tried since this post and how did it go?

Back
Top Bottom