Found a grave on our new property

I live in Surry County VA, right across the James river from Jamestown settlement, there are a LOT of very old churches and cemetaries here, I am always fascinated with the history of the folks who once lived where I do now.

someone said many landowners had family plots on their land, thats true here also.

Its wonderful that you found such a peice of history on your property, take care of it!

chickpeas, my brothers wife studies ancient murder and helps to determine the cause. Laurel Hamilton (was Anderson), she and my brother both attended Tulane. I understand its a small field, do you know of her?

M

When we found our graves I was thrilled to know the first people/family to ever live on the land.
They had not even been listed befor. BUT after we found the name and published it and spread the word threw the historical society and the cemetary. lists ifo came forward about them even though they were in the history as living in that part of the county no one knew the excact spot.
The historical lady came out spent the afternoon with us. took pictures anded it to their info and left.

We have never been bothered since they will not bug you ar take your land.
I don't care that the graves are their its in the far corner of the property and its just a 12 foot circle that I
Mostly ignor.

How ever years later a diary was found of the family and in it they talk about living on the land.
How they went 14 months with out seeing another person. About standing in the creeak and looking done the creak at the view and how peaceful and lovley it was.
They also talked about hauling stones from the creak to build foundations for a shelter for the horses
I would have loved to see the book in person but just the pages were copied and email to me to read.
The book its self is in the historical society. It was writen by the man I would have assumed it was the women who wrote in diarys who knows maybe they both kept on and only his survived.

Quote:
not in the past couple of years, she and my brother (also an archeologist) moved to MX because he got a job with the state department. I don't know that she is doing anything with it right now.

did you see the National Geographic show a good while back about the Moche Murder Mystery on the mayans or incas? She was in that.

Its all fascinating to me!

M

Back
Top Bottom