Found a grave on our new property

Here are some pics I took of the grave on the river.

6012_vid00107.jpg

6012_vid00108.jpg

Sorry their a bit big. I forgot to add, there were two separate graves the one from the girl and a smaller one that was to worn out to read.

If you just bought the property the clues will be in the it's background history. Was there always a home there, if so it's probably a family cemetary - we have one on our property that the Morris family can still bury relatives in if they wish. If the property housed a church it could be the church/town cemetary. That long ago it was usually one or the other. Families that didn't own their own land were buried in the church cemetary and families that were well-to-do had their own cemetary on their property. It should be easy to trace the history of the property back. Mortgage records go back hundreds of years. Go to your local Mortgage/Conveyance records. Look up your sale. It gives the prior sale MOB #s. Look up that one - so forth and so on. Eventually you'll come to hand written documents showing owners and sales. This is what is done in a title check to ensure proper title has passed from one owner to another. All full/proper names are listed as well as married/maiden names for women.

Makes for interesing research on your new/old property.

Edited to add: And the small square stones usually are end markers - marking the foot of the grave.

Last edited:
driving out to my Aunts house there is a family cemetary up on a hill that is just visible from the road. I bet it has a great view. It would be tresspassing but I'd love to check it out one of these years.

You all are so lucky!! All I found on my property was a pet grave, it was marked with a homemade cross with a heart on it, and I have since added some of my chickies and goats , and little statues and flowers, etc. I love doing research and have even gone so far as to research 2 families (not mine) whose things I had given to me by my mother in law, and one whose funeral card I bought on ebay!!! I am a member of ancestry.com so I can look up lots of info!!! good luck on your search.

Ok, this was a chicken site, I was reading about chickens, now I'm into the geneology again! Good thing hubby is not home, he would be rolling his eyes at me thinking I have lost my mind. He would be saying, that only I could combine chickens and geneology. I wonder if I did? Maybe someone can help me find it.
Hmmm, could I remind him its his family I am checking on.
The notebook in my lap right now has 6481 descendants of John Jackson, who was born in 1762, and no, it does not include his family for the last 4 generations. I will have trouble finding out if Thomas is related to us with this many to go through. But just guessing probably not since mine seem to be from Va, Tn, Kyand Mo.
Oh well another mystery to check on.
Wish me luck.

Quote:
Good luck. I can see it now: "I found my long lost ancestor on BYC"
lol.png

Last edited:
I find it very interesting too! I hope you're able to find out more about him.
I remember doing grave rubbings as a girl scout in the 70s. Now I'm hearing it's discouraged because the old stones can be tipped over easily if you're not careful. But it does give a better idea of what's on a grave stone.
Our church is celebrating its 175th anniversary this year and some of us were going through old records and found that a woman who died in 1786 had left $600 to the church with the stipulation that her grave site be cared for by the church. It named the cemetary where she is buried so after church we headed out thinking we'd have fun poking around looking for her. Well we found her alright! The stone is right along side the driveway and I spotted it as we drove in!
Back to Mr. Jackson and family-have fun researching! My father and his brothers spent a lot of time researching our genealogy and I can tell you that appreciated every bit of info they could find.

Back
Top Bottom