1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Found a nest with four eggs....are they ok to eat?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CrzyChicLady, Dec 15, 2010.

1. CrzyChicLady

CrzyChicLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    I found a nest with four eggs today in my tortoise house. I took them out and closed the house up so the hen can't get back in. (I appreciate my broody hen, don't get me wrong, but I don't want any lil' chicks in this 13 degree weather) So can I put the eggs in the fridge to eat or will they have embros in them? They can't be more than five days old.

2. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    You should be fine. I recently discovered a secret nest and there were 29 eggs! If you are in doubt, you can always float them in water. If they float, don't eat them. Its always a good idea to crack each egg individually into a bowl and then add to what ever you are making (just in case). Of my 29 eggs (in daytime temps in the 70's and 80's) all but 1 were fine...

3. CrzyChicLady

CrzyChicLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    Thanks!

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Ummmm, if there's a chance your broody was sitting on them, I would be candling them to look for veining. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by