found a new setting on the camera.. photo critique requested

The trick to taking bird pictures is to focus on the eyes. If you can do that, everything else will come together. When a person looks at a photo, they are automatically drawn to one spot. If the eyes are the focal point, then the person will be drawn FIRST to the eyes, then to the rest of the photo.

Your pictures are very nice though! The first one is a little out of focus, but the second one is very very nice.

Basically the trick to photography is to practice, practice, practice! Also, be sure to have a large memory card, as that can enable you to take ALOT of pictures. With animal photography, even the professionals will take hundreds of photos and quite often only a few of them will turn out nice.

The problem with some of the rapid fire settings on digital cameras is that the camera does not focus in between shots. So if the bird moves further or closer to the camera, the photo will be out of focus.

I always find myself going back to the camera manuals and reading up on the features. I'm also in the process of getting a good photography book. There are a lot of websites on the net that have how to guides. I just got a new camera myself and I'm still learning all of it's features!

Someone say eyes?

230_look_deep_in_my_eye.jpg

I personally am not a fan of the three shots in a row setting. It may be good for action shots where you get one chance to get it right, but even then, focus can be an issue if your subject is moving or even twitches. Good lighting on the gold laced polish. Key to good photography, take thousands of pictures and never show the fuzzy or almost good ones :p

LMAO You forgot to say 'Batman'!!!!
lol.png

I like the second one the best. What kind of camera is it? Some cameras do have a setting that takes 3 different exposure pics. But also some digitals have a setting that allows for 2, 3 or unlimited sequence shots. My Kodak Easyshare has this setting and comes in really handy when getting shots of wiggly chicks
wink.png

For the most part, unless working on something super creative and off the beaten path, I focus on the eyes because I feel that not only are they the focal point, but they are the connection. It's one thing for them to not be in the pic, but another thing all together for them to be there and be too blurry.

Overall they look very nice! Keep up the good work!
big_smile.png

Also... you crop your images pretty well, but always remember that it is better to be further away and crop later then it is to be too close and lose something that you cannot add
wink.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom