found a new way to incubate and hatch come look!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jj ranch, Mar 19, 2009.

1. jj ranch

jj ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    ok someone probably has come up with this but i HATE turning rolling eggs and i HATE watching hatch soccer [​IMG] anyway i bought another bator yes another makes three running right now. its a disease [​IMG] i took top of carton and cut in half long ways, they hold eggs perfect for turning and hatching. no worries of bumping or not being able to crawl up and out if in carton small end down. iwas able to put 42!!! in my bator this way. nice and tidy. just thought i would share. oh and i found my blue cartons had a better holding spots on it. but either should work! [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. killer

killer Chillin' With My Peeps

neat!!!!!!!!! hope it works out good for you.

3. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Awesome! Thanks for posting this I will for sure be doing this my next hatch. So far its been crazy turning by hand and not in a egg carton.

4. jj ranch

jj ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    i think it should even work well during hatch because they are not touching and possibly trapping chics. im soooo excited. [​IMG]

5. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    i incubate and hatch in bottoms of cartons in my sportsmans. bottoms keep them from rolling in the auto turners, i don't use the racks cuz sometimes eggs roll out the pegs and hit together or roll in the trays. i never thought to use the lids i cut and throw em away. i will start saveing them for the hatcher. great idea! [​IMG]

6. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    genius!

i use the egg-holding part of the carton and cut the part the egg goes into so each egg-holdy-part has a hole. this way holds more eggs! i just may try this!

7. Pagemaker

Pagemaker Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2009
    What is the point of this... does it increase your rate of hatch?
    I think its easier to leave the eggs loose so you can just run your hand over them to turn them. Of course you don't need to turn them the last 3-4 days anyway. Do the cartons reduce the moisture in the incubator by absorbing the water?
    I use the GQF sportsman incubator nowadays... I find its much better than the little styrofoam ones.

8. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    I use the 30 egg holders from large egg boxes, just cut the bottom out so the eggs can be tilted back and forth. I hold 42 eggs with enough room for 3 pint containers of sand and water to stabilize temps and hold humidity without fussing with the bottom. You can find them at restaurants for free.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by