Found a rabbit under my porch this morning!

All it takes is some bunny proofing and cleaning up. Just like you would with a puppy or baby.
Rabbit pee stinks. So does cat pee. All it takes is regularly cleaning the litter box, and getting them fixed helps a ton.
Most rabbits will live a much better life inside, protected from the weather and predators, where they can run, exercise, bond with you, and explore, rather than being locked in a tiny hutch their whole life then dying. Especially with so many predators (which could kill them just from scaring them and causing a heart attack), and heat (which kills rabbits all the time) and all the other issues.
We would’ve kept her inside but we have a black lab, springer spaniel mix and she can open the door to the room she was staying in. And I’m not sure how to bunny proof cords, she was fixed and we had no idea what age she was, she died when it was warm out, it could’ve been the fact that she was separated from her closest from, our parakeet

We would’ve kept her inside but we have a black lab, springer spaniel mix and she can open the door to the room she was staying in. And I’m not sure how to bunny proof cords, she was fixed and we had no idea what age she was, she died when it was warm out, it could’ve been the fact that she was separated from her closest from, our parakeet
She most likely died from heat, rabbits are highly sensitive creatures unlike dogs or cats. Rabbits shouldn’t be outside above 80 degrees, and even that can be too hot. It’s really not very hard to bunny proof, and you have to give them things to chew that is more appealing to them then your furniture. Not saying you can change what happened to your poor bunny, but hopefully people can learn something they didn’t know about rabbits! Live and learn:)

I recommend these for cord protection
Screenshot_20210622-211945_Pinterest.jpg

Providing good quality hay (to keep teeth down) and lots of interesting toys (to keep the bunny entertained and their teeth down) also helps a lot.

As for having dogs with rabbits, that can be tricky. Teaching the dog "leave it" helps a lot, and using baby gates and playpens to block areas off.

she died when it was warm out
She most likely died from heat, rabbits are highly sensitive creatures unlike dogs or cats. Rabbits shouldn’t be outside above 80 degrees, and even that can be too hot.

How warm was it when the rabbit died? I notice Lou K's profile says Wasilla, Alaska.

;)She most likely died from heat, rabbits are highly sensitive creatures unlike dogs or cats. Rabbits shouldn’t be outside above 80 degrees, and even that can be too hot. It’s really not very hard to bunny proof, and you have to give them things to chew that is more appealing to them then your furniture. Not saying you can change what happened to your poor bunny, but hopefully people can learn something they didn’t know about rabbits! Live and learn:)
80?! It is hotter than that in my house in summer :gigBunnies aren’t that heat intolerant ;)

80?! It is hotter than that in my house in summer :gigBunnies aren’t that heat intolerant ;)
Well, I depends on the rabbit and the things you do for them to keep them cool. It’s not like they will die at 80 but it’s better for them to be in conditions lower than that. I keep my rabbit outside when it is cool, but I notice he starts to sleep more and be more lethargic when it’s near 80. We always bring him in for warmer seasons.

I used to have an indoor rabbit, not a good idea in my opinion, she could escape anything and would chew apart cords, furniture and anything else she could reach, they also smell really bad.
After we had ours inside for too long and moved her outside she ended up dying.

Hershey has been a real easy keeper so far. He's still indoors in the playroom which has been childproofed--so it is pretty ideal. He will chew on cords I found when I was charging my phone in the wrong place, but there's usually only one cord in the playroom which already has a cord protector for my kids. He hasn't chewed on the woodwork (thus far, cross fingers) and he uses his litterbox. I leave the door to his cage open much of the day and he goes back to the litter box in his cage to pee/poop. I toss the litter box contents in the compost bin every day or two. It only stinks when I'm late changing the litter. I can't let him have the run of the whole house because of our dogs, but I think he has enough space in the playroom. Ocassionally, we take him out in a playpen to play in the grass and shade on nice days.

1624456362948.png

Hershey has been a real easy keeper so far. He's still indoors in the playroom which has been childproofed--so it is pretty ideal. He will chew on cords I found when I was charging my phone in the wrong place, but there's usually only one cord in the playroom which already has a cord protector for my kids. He hasn't chewed on the woodwork (thus far, cross fingers) and he uses his litterbox. I leave the door to his cage open much of the day and he goes back to the litter box in his cage to pee/poop. I toss the litter box contents in the compost bin every day or two. It only stinks when I'm late changing the litter. I can't let him have the run of the whole house because of our dogs, but I think he has enough space in the playroom. Ocassionally, we take him out in a playpen to play in the grass and shade on nice days.

View attachment 2731340
This makes me so happy 😊!!!

there's usually only one cord in the playroom which already has a cord protector for my kids
Your kids chew on cords? 😂 (I'm sure I'm interpreting that wrong but still makes me laugh :lau)

She most likely died from heat, rabbits are highly sensitive creatures unlike dogs or cats. Rabbits shouldn’t be outside above 80 degrees, and even that can be too hot. It’s really not very hard to bunny proof, and you have to give them things to chew that is more appealing to them then your furniture. Not saying you can change what happened to your poor bunny, but hopefully people can learn something they didn’t know about rabbits! Live and learn:)
Our Texas sized Californians tough it out in the 100+ degree weather 💪🐰

Your kids chew on cords? 😂 (I'm sure I'm interpreting that wrong but still makes me laugh :lau)
Baby people of a certain age chew on EVERYTHING. They're just as bad as puppies or bunnies about putting things in their mouths, although they usually don't do quite as much damage.

But once the child outgrows that stage, the cord protectors and similar things tend to linger, because there's no real need to remove them.

Back
Top Bottom