Found an affordable house but has flooding damage, can it be fixed?

reveriereptile

Songster
11 Years
Mar 17, 2008
Northern NY
I was searching around online for affordable real estate and came across a 1300 sq. ft. ranch style house. I gave a friend some information since she was looking for a place and she went and looked at it. She said it was a nice house but the floor was rippled and the roof needed some support beams. She asked some people about the floor and roof and they assumed it was flooding from the house sitting low. They said it would probably be $10-15K to fix.

Can the house be fixed to avoid future flooding problems? Also I'm not sure what type of foundation it has but if it is a crawl space can that be turned into a slab?

I would hire a building inspector...

check for black mold that can get very pricy and can infect areas that were not even damaged in the flood

I would stay away from it. Once you make all the repairs and modifications the house will most likely no longer be affordable. We bought a fixer upper a few years ago. Ran out of $ to fix it and now we are stuck in it hoping to save up to finish what needs to be done. It's a pain in the butt!

The house is being sold for $25K which isn't much at all especially for the size and that is in the country. We were thinking of maybe talking the people down on the price due to the damage.

My first question is why did it flood? If it's in a flood zone. it's just a matter of time before it gets flooded again. Insurance will be sky high and then add flood insurance to the homeowner's insurance.
Be sure to get a professional inspection if you decide to go for it.

I would agree with having the home inspected as frozen bursting pipes requires tearing up floors and walls to fix and replace we replaced all the old pipes in the house with pex it expands if it freezes but doesnt burst looks alot like garden hose.

Thanks for the replies. I'm not positive if it flooded or not. Just going by what my friend said. She said the floor was rippled. Not sure if it was from rain since the house sits low or maybe a pipe leak that was left untreated. We would definitely have someone look at it to have it checked out before buying.

Here is the link of the house. http://www.nnyrealty.com/rba.htm

They just put in a new roof, so it could've been a leak gone on for too long. I'd get an inspector out there, ask specifically about the floor and water, and see what he comes back with.

Don't buy it unless your willing to fork out a ton money for repairs and a sub pump. It could even cost double what you were told. Get quotes yourself from several people in repair costs. The house MOST likely has mold from the water damage. There is no way a roof leak caused the flooding. It had to been a crack in the foundation, which is a fortune to repair on top of everything else.

There is so much more to look for, my husband owns a house inspection business. There is plumbing, electrical, water heater, windows, ect that cost a lot to repair as well if damaged. A cracked foundation is awful too.

Back
Top Bottom