Found an antique wood incubator for $25...hopeful!

WalnutHill

Crowing
5 Years
Mar 16, 2014
SE Michigan
Although my foam incubators with the digital controllers are wondrous machines, I live in a house nearly 200 years old and a nearly 100 year old redwood incubator just seems so much more "right".

Am I nuts to think so? If so please tell me before I buy...I know more maintenance. I know more challenging to clean. I know less energy efficient. And I know no electric turners. But does 21st century technology really hatch more eggs?

Thanks!

Technology doesn't hatch eggs; 21 days of 100* does. ;)
You can sneak in modern controls and it will be better than a styrofoam but still maintain the vintage look & patina.

Last edited:
I have restored 5 different historic homes we lived in over the years. The last one was an 1860 Victorian. Now we live in a small cottage I built, but from our historic homes, I understand exactly where you are coming from. For $25 how can you possibly go wrong? You need to snag that puppy before it is gone!

Although my foam incubators with the digital controllers are wondrous machines, I live in a house nearly 200 years old and a nearly 100 year old redwood incubator just seems so much more "right".

Am I nuts to think so? If so please tell me before I buy...I know more maintenance. I know more challenging to clean. I know less energy efficient. And I know no electric turners. But does 21st century technology really hatch more eggs?

Thanks!

Technology definitely hatches more eggs - turners make a difference. As already said, there is no reason why you cant upgrade the inside of it.

I personally have a seperate structure to hatch eggs in, so my incubators dont have to look pretty but a working redwood is a great conversation piece. Then agaijn, if its parked next to a 60" Samsung TV......

I bought the incubator! It is a FarmMaster 400 egg model.

This incubator is a LOT bigger than I want or need. I talked to the seller and the other interested party wanted to turn it into a side table. I think that would be a crying shame, so I brought it home.

Once I get it out of the truck I am going to start cleaning it. It has bits of eggshells from decades of use. I bought it from the second owner, who had bought it 40 years ago from his neighbor.

If there is anyone in SE Michigan who is truly interested in buying this incubator for use as an incubator, please contact me. I will begin restoration soon and as restoration progresses, the price will go up commensurate with the investment of time, parts, and labor that goes into it.

I would sell it to anyone from anywhere, but it is far too heavy and bulky to ship. I don't have ready access to an LTL depot so it would be pick up only.

Walnut,
How far are you from the state line? Can you post pictures of the incubator......I might just be truly interested. For hatching chickens only of course!
Tim

Is that an overheat buzzer attached to that switch and transformer? Light bulb works and everything.

Heating coil intact and looks untampered

On the inside of the door is a multi-wafer Honeywell thermostat that looks like late 50s, early 60s. It bypasses the single wafer and microswitch. All four trays are in good shape and turners work. The piece of galvanized steel on the bottom is rusted out. If it's here for restoration, I will replace it.

Even the graphics are nice! There are some paint speckles and a few dings.

Original wet bulb thermometer and vial, plus modern thermometer. I don't think the old one is good, but I haven't checked.

No. 170 400 Egg. 110 V 60 C 250 Watt A.C.

Water trays are crusty but intact.

Dusty but with few blemishes

Dusty with some paint speckles

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom