found an egg (how do i know if its alive??)

Jayare's Chicks :

I found a duck egg at a local park today and brought it home and made a homemade incubator for it. I don't know how long it's been laying there or if it is alive or not. I guess I will give it a few days and candle it and see what I see. This is my first attempt at this, I will try to post the findings as they come.

Jayare

Yeah, better be careful. And if that was the only egg, the momma duck was probably laying more there or you may have disturbed her nest.​

In Jayare's defense....My local "duck parks" have ducks, but they are in no way wild ducks. Both my local duck parks have feral domestic ducks...white ducks (don't know the breed), muscovies and runners, and all the various crosses. We often see eggs at these parks, seldom see nests and occassionally see ducklings. Both these parks also have feral geese. Life is not easy for these bird, there are dogs, kids, lots of fishing line, snapping turtles and all the wild predators.

I would be willing to give Jayare the benefit of the doubt in this case. In my experience wild ducks hide their nests well and you rarely find a stray egg. But, I agree that taking wild bird eggs is just wrong.

Karen

I am sorry some of you have gotten your feathers ruffeled. I did not know, and yes I am new to this. The ducks here are those white ones (can you say Aflack) and a few of those other white ones with red bumpy skin on their heads. There are some mallards there too as well as geese. There are no nests that I have seen, this egg was on the rocks by the water in a high traffic area. There were 2 other broken eggs in the park also (not close). There are numerous squrrils, birds and other preditors there too.

Again I am sorry.

Jayare

You can always candle it to see if it is developing but that can be hard if the shells are thick. Best option would be to incubate it and just keep an eye on it. Generally only eggs are a sign of a bad egg that the mom knows or of a nest that was not yet finished being laid. Or in the case of broken eggs, predators to a nest.

Jayare's Chicks :

I am sorry some of you have gotten your feathers ruffeled. I did not know, and yes I am new to this. The ducks here are those white ones (can you say Aflack) and a few of those other white ones with red bumpy skin on their heads. There are some mallards there too as well as geese. There are no nests that I have seen, this egg was on the rocks by the water in a high traffic area. There were 2 other broken eggs in the park also (not close). There are numerous squrrils, birds and other preditors there too.

Again I am sorry.

Jayare

Sorry for jumping on you like that but disturbing wildlife doesn't set well with me. I hope it is alive though but remember if it is and it does survive you need to keep it as a domestic mallard and you can not return it to the wild, It will imprint on you and for that you are responsible. Good Luck
smile.png

Quote:
Sorry for jumping on you like that but disturbing wildlife doesn't set well with me. I hope it is alive though but remember if it is and it does survive you need to keep it as a domestic mallard and you can not return it to the wild, It will imprint on you and for that you are responsible. Good Luck
smile.png

Well Said. You are just dandy.
gig.gif

wee.gif
Awww thanks!

Quote:
smile.png

Well Said. You are just dandy.
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom