Found baby bird ... Need help!

Becci

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 11, 2012
AL
Alright, so this morning my cousin brought me this little bird ... apparently two of her youngest siblings (8 and 10) found the bird laying on the ground screaming, so I'm guessing it fell out of it's nest. It had to of been there at least 3 hours because they found it when they went outside at 8 am, but didn't tell anyone until around 11 am. My cousin said there's no way she was leaving that baby, so she brought it to me. She also said that the lowest branch was very high and the nest was not visible, so there was no returning it.

I put him in a cardboard box with a heating pad (our house is freezing) and two wash cloths on top of that. It's warm, but not hot where he is laying. He's in my bedroom which I've kept fairly dark and as quiet as possible since he's been here. When I tap the box he gets vocal and goes straight into feeding position. If there's no movement around him he's sleeping.

His skin was extremely wrinkled, and his droppings were extremely gooey, I read this meant he was dehydrated, and I know they have to eat often so I gave him the first thing that came to mind - banana puree. I fed him with an extra tiny syringe. After he got hungry again I figured boiled egg yolk w/ water would probably be a better idea.

He's got grey downy type feathers, and the inside of his mouth is a reddish/purple color. His eyes are open, but he doesn't seem to respond to movement and I'm beginning to think he *may* be blind, and it may be the reason he was knocked out of the nest... He otherwise seems unhurt from the fall. I'm most likely going to end up taking him to a wildlife rehabilitation center (if I can find one) especially if caring for him is illegal.
hmm.png

My questions:

What would be best to feed him?

How do I determine his age and what type of bird he is?

What do I keep him in, and does he even need heat?

Last edited:
You should find a wildlife rehabber. It is very rare someone is able to keep them alive until they're big enough to be on their own. I had a friend in high school who's mother was a wildlife rehabber. She rehabbed a few birds over the years. I know a bit from her work. 1) They need heat until they are fully fledged. 2) They need some sunlight every day, about five or six hours. 2) Don't feed them straight water because you'll just end up causing them to aspirate it. 4) They need protein until you can get them to a rehabber. Some Purina Kitten Chow soaked in water until its at a consistency that you can feed it through an eyedropper works until you can find someone qualified to care for it. In a lot of states it's illegal to have native birds, even if you're just caring for a baby. you are going to release. They have to be raised by licensed professionals. I don't know what your little guy is, but he's a cute little chick. Good luck with him.
smile.png

You should find a wildlife rehabber. It is very rare someone is able to keep them alive until they're big enough to be on their own. I had a friend in high school who's mother was a wildlife rehabber. She rehabbed a few birds over the years. I know a bit from her work. 1) They need heat until they are fully fledged. 2) They need some sunlight every day, about five or six hours. 2) Don't feed them straight water because you'll just end up causing them to aspirate it. 4) They need protein until you can get them to a rehabber. Some Purina Kitten Chow soaked in water until its at a consistency that you can feed it through an eyedropper works until you can find someone qualified to care for it. In a lot of states it's illegal to have native birds, even if you're just caring for a baby. you are going to release. They have to be raised by licensed professionals. I don't know what your little guy is, but he's a cute little chick. Good luck with him.
smile.png
Thankyou! I actually googled wildlife rehabilitation in my area and the closest is over an hour away. It'll probably be at least a week if not more before I can get him there, so I suppose I'm gonna go pick up some Purina cat chow. Thank you for your response!

I've been feeding him every 2-3 hours during the day and every 4 hours at night. I usually feed until I see that his crop is full and he is quiet. He's grown so much over the 3 days, his chest feathers are coming in (they're white) and he is not naked anywhere now. I also discovered that he is not blind, as he follows my hand when I'm feeding. I've been trying to give him a few hours of sun a day, and he seems to be doing great. Trying to schedule a day to take him to a professional... I need a day when one of the parents or someone who knows where they're going can go with me, I don't think I could drive him there myself. Everyone's busy this week.
hmm.png
oh and his name is Harlow.
smile.png
Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
I found a baby robin with a bald body and pin feathers just this morning. It fell out of the nest in the storm last night. We got a ladder and put it back into the nest. All is well. Momma robin is back sitting on them. THANK GOD!!

Awe, glad to hear all is well! I wish we could have returned my little guy.

Back
Top Bottom