Found baby chicks yesterday but three died already

jesse003

Hatching
Jan 14, 2022
I found 5 baby chicks. I have seen newly hatched pheasants and these look to be 1 or 2 days old. I saw them walking across a field while I was out walking with my kids and long story short the mother got spooked onto a road.

Got them home and put them in a carboard box with water with pebbles. A heat lamp and some wild food not chicken starter mix. I've rared ducks and chickens from eggs but never pheasants.

In the first 6 hours one of them started stretching its legs out and twisting around and wasn't able to stand and walk. I thought one of the kids had picked it up and dropped it. It lasted about an hour or two but my kids said they never touched it.

By night another chick was on its side with legs stretched out sort of like spinning in circles and twisting. They didn't seem interested in the water or the food. They were running around fine before that. It was very sudden.

It was dead by the morning.

I got up in the morning and remaining chicks were fine running around but never saw them eat or drink. I did some reading and tried to give them some water with syringe but they just shook it off their beak.

They may have eaten or drunk but I never saw it.

That one eventually just lay down and died in an hour or two.

Its so sudden its scary. They are totally fine zooming around then suddenly they look like they have brain damage and cant even stand up and bend and twist all over the place.

I have two left, I don't want to see them die. I thought about letting them go in the long grass but I know they will die, I just don't want to see it. The 3rd one died not long ago.

What could it be?

I don't think its the temperature as it is really warm here right now and the lamp was in a corner so they could get away. They mostly were under it or close so it seemed like the correct temperature.

Could it be shock?

I found 5 baby chicks. I have seen newly hatched pheasants and these look to be 1 or 2 days old. I saw them walking across a field while I was out walking with my kids and long story short the mother got spooked onto a road.

Got them home and put them in a carboard box with water with pebbles. A heat lamp and some wild food not chicken starter mix. I've rared ducks and chickens from eggs but never pheasants.

In the first 6 hours one of them started stretching its legs out and twisting around and wasn't able to stand and walk. I thought one of the kids had picked it up and dropped it. It lasted about an hour or two but my kids said they never touched it.

By night another chick was on its side with legs stretched out sort of like spinning in circles and twisting. They didn't seem interested in the water or the food. They were running around fine before that. It was very sudden.

I got up in the morning and remaining chicks were fine running around but never saw them eat or drink. I did some reading and tried to give them some water with syringe but they just shook it off their beak.

Its so sudden its scary. They are totally fine zooming around then suddenly they look like they have brain damage and cant even stand up and bend and twist all over the place.

I have two left, I don't want to see them die. I thought about letting them go in the long grass but I know they will die, I just don't want to see it. The 3rd one died not long ago.

What could it be?

I don't think its the temperature as it is really warm here right now and the lamp was in a corner so they could get away. They mostly were under it or close so it seemed like the correct temperature.

Could it be shock?
Pheasants do best with draft free brooder and red lamp. They need turkey or gamebird starter although chicken starter may have been better choice in this case over wild bird feed. I also crushed feed for first week or so like with quail.

Pheasants do best with draft free brooder and red lamp. They need turkey or gamebird starter although chicken starter may have been better choice in this case over wild bird feed. I also crushed feed for first week or so like with quail.
I have chick starter and put a little bit of that in also. I found my old brooder and had that setup.

They didn't eat. I think they were just too young maybe died of shock. Lost another one. Was second it was fine running around and cheeping loudly then it just suddenly started being able to walk and spasming around and stuff.

I think I saw the last one eat something but I am not hopeful.

What could it be?

Could it be shock?
Where are you located? There shouldn't be any chicks being hatched by wild pheasants this time of the year.
@muddy75 has given you some advice, I'll add that the chicks, if wild, they will have to be taught what the crumble is, and what the waterer is....in the wild the hen teaches her chicks those things.

If the hen wasn't killed by traffic, she would have returned to the chicks.

Where are you located? There shouldn't be any chicks being hatched by wild pheasants this time of the year.
@muddy75 has given you some advice, I'll add that the chicks, if wild, they will have to be taught what the crumble is, and what the waterer is....in the wild the hen teaches her chicks those things.

If the hen wasn't killed by traffic, she would have returned to the chicks.
The hen was definitely killed.

I live in New Zealand.... It is summer time here, there is pheasants and pheasant chicks everywhere around my property.

I did read you have to teach them but I couldn't figure out how. The 4th chick that died I did try to teach it but I think my touching it probably just scared it even more.

I used a syringe on the last chick and it has taken water and it is eating the food now. I am not sure if it is using the water I gave it or not so I will keep up with the syringe just in case for another couple days to see if it is stronger or not.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom