Found baby duck on back, kicking, spinning in circles

Seemsfamiliar

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 18, 2013
Checked on the babies this morning, they are 1-2 weeks old and one of the ducklings was under the heat lamp kicking and struggling so that he had cleared all his bedding out in a circle under the heat lamp. He was holding his head back at a weird angle and I'm not sure if he's making a little heh-heh sound like he's stuffy or just harder to breath with your head against your back. I stuck his beak in a dish of water and I think he got a little bit of water. I must have calmed him down, I hope that's it, as after I set him back in the pen he tried to waddle (squirm more liked it, didnt' get all the way up on his feet) a few inches then rolled over onto his left side again and kicks his upward foot every so often. I don't have a clue as to what went so suddenly wrong overnight, or how to take care of him. Any ideas?

So sorry this is my first post. I've been reading this site for years and not had anything really to brag about/ freak out over before.

Update:

One of the times I stuck his head in water he spit up an aspen shaving. Then a few globs of fully softened food after that. and I mean after he got his drink by a few second then
sickbyc.gif
. Not the little bits that had been showing up that I had just assumed still stuck to the inside of his beak. Seems calmer, still has his head cocked to his right some but not so contorted that it is against his back anymore. Bobbing around and a little trembly. Maybe he's partially stopped up in there somewhere and had just gone into full out panic? Not sure if the boss has noticed I have a duck in my lap with its head sticking out from under my hoodie.

Every so often its like he has a mini head seizure and is keeping his head tilted left and holding it down now. Aside from shaking his head, and flicking his tail occasionally he doesn't try to stand or move at all. Think I will be able to try to feed him again at some point without him choking? Is dropper feeding a duck much different than feeding a parrot? What should I try to feed him? He's more rag doll than duckling...
sad.png

He died at the vet's office while the doc was considering an antibiotic. The vet cut it open said it was devoid of food, no blockages though. After having thrown up this morning and pooping about an hour before we were able to make it in I'm not sure if that had something to do with him being empty. Liver slightly inflamed, but that can happen with healthy babies sometimes too he said. So possibly a septicemia or he ate something toxic or poisonous that he wasn't supposed to. Told me to keep an eye out on the other babies and let him know immediately if anything else goes wrong. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks. BYC has always been a great source of information, and I really appreciate the community.

I just found this:
Riemerella anatipestifer Infection

This bacterial disease of ducks is also known as Pasteurella anatipestifer infection, infectious serositis and New Duck disease. Anatipestifer infection causes high mortality, weight loss and condemnation. In the acute form, listlessness, eye discharge and diarrhea are commonly seen. Ducks show incoordination, shaking of the head and twisted neck. Birds are commonly found on their backs, paddling their legs. Typical lesions found in dead birds are infected air sacs, membranes covering the heart and liver, and meningitis. Preventive management and vaccination are effective means of control. Penicillin, enrofloxacin and sulfadimethoxine-ormetoprim (0.04-0.08% in feed) are effective in reducing mortality.

on http://www.southfloridamuscovyducks.com/health-and-diseases.html

Knowing that certain antibiotics work better than others, I just wanted to post that in case anyone else coms across this. I didn't see any discharge but many other symptoms and the inflamed liver goes in with that as well. I've had issues where I've only been able to get my pet through because I went to the vet and told THEM what was wrong. Now that's the rare case, but if you go in and say Maybe its this... and the vet goes ! haven't heard that since med school. Then they can make their own judgement or remember something else etc. :D

This if from my AAAP Avian Disease Manual. Pasteurella anatipestifer is listed on the second picture. FYI, Baytril (enrofloxacin) is banned by the FDA for use in food animals. Don't get me wrong, I think it's the best antibiotic for treating many diseases, and I have plenty of it.

Last edited:
Thanks. BYC has always been a great source of information, and I really appreciate the community.

I just found this:
Riemerella anatipestifer Infection

This bacterial disease of ducks is also known as Pasteurella anatipestifer infection, infectious serositis and New Duck disease. Anatipestifer infection causes high mortality, weight loss and condemnation. In the acute form, listlessness, eye discharge and diarrhea are commonly seen. Ducks show incoordination, shaking of the head and twisted neck. Birds are commonly found on their backs, paddling their legs. Typical lesions found in dead birds are infected air sacs, membranes covering the heart and liver, and meningitis. Preventive management and vaccination are effective means of control. Penicillin, enrofloxacin and sulfadimethoxine-ormetoprim (0.04-0.08% in feed) are effective in reducing mortality.

on http://www.southfloridamuscovyducks.com/health-and-diseases.html

Knowing that certain antibiotics work better than others, I just wanted to post that in case anyone else coms across this. I didn't see any discharge but many other symptoms and the inflamed liver goes in with that as well. I've had issues where I've only been able to get my pet through because I went to the vet and told THEM what was wrong. Now that's the rare case, but if you go in and say Maybe its this... and the vet goes ! haven't heard that since med school. Then they can make their own judgement or remember something else etc. :D
Very good info!

Back
Top Bottom