1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Found bantam ameraucanas only to be bummed!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by happybooker1, Mar 20, 2013.

1. happybooker1

happybooker1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2012
    North of Houston Texas
    I found a lady that has some Bantam Ameraucana pullets close to me for only $20. So I told her I'd like to come pick up one to join my small flock. She only sells in pairs and I don't need TWO! (I really don't need ONE but thought the colored eggs would be neat). I'm SO disappointed.

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Get the pair and sell the extra. You never know, someone may have gone to the same place and had the same problem, and they're just waiting for someone else to offer up a lone chicken.
    Also, do you mean she'll only sell 2 hens, or a pair as in a hen and a roo (< which is a pretty standard way for breeders to rid themselves of excess boys, I do it too when I've hatched alot of chicks and need to get rid of some guys).

3. happybooker1

happybooker1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2012
    North of Houston Texas
    2 at a time. Sex Doesn't matter. I'm afraid I couldn't get anyone to buy the extra one & I'd be out the $20 & end up having to give it away.

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I have never, ever had to give away a hen. In fact, if they truely are Ameraucanas and not just Easter Eggers you might be able to tack $5 onto the original $20 and make a little profit. If its worrying you that much though, just pass on them. Did she say why she'd only sell in pairs? I can understand selling a breeding pair or trio, but not the way she's doing. Try explaining your situation and letting her know you'll give the hen a very good home, maybe you can convince her to let you take just one....

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  5. hhmmmmm.... That is kinda weird. idk you could just get the 2. It is not that bad getting 2 insteads of 1. You could do what howfunkyisurechickens idea and sell the 2nd one.

6. SlipsWife

SlipsWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    Odessa, Texas
    I wish we were close and I'd buy the second one!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by