found bird!!!

Chiknsrcool

Songster
Apr 22, 2020
they have a bleeding foot and appear to be favoring one wing. they were found in the parking lot at my job and i’m going to take it to a wildlife facility but is there anything I should do before then?

Attachments

• 53B20EA4-8921-4C75-BFCF-95250374BD8A.jpeg
    53B20EA4-8921-4C75-BFCF-95250374BD8A.jpeg
    327 KB · Views: 33
Hello!

That’s definitely a fledgling. Not exactly sure what kind of bird it is… where are you located?

Try dabbing the foot with a gauze pad and maybe some antibiotic ointment and/or antibacterial spray with a soothing agent. I would probably suggest keeping it in a box rather than a cage so that it doesn’t get too stressed by seeing everything happening. Also put in a small container or dish of water and maybe even a soft rag for comfort. Show it where the water is, and maybe even try using a syringe to drop a small amount of water in its mouth. You can even mix some sugar into the water (brown sugar is better, but granulated sugar will work) to give it a little boost of energy. There’s not much else you can do for it… basically just hope and pray that it survives and heals! Best of luck!

thank you for your reply! I’m in east Texas and I couldn’t figure out what kind of bird it is from internet searches. I put it in a box with an old t shirt last night and I tried to give it some mashed chicken feed but it wouldn’t have it and I tried to give it water through a syringe and it didn’t want that either. I also put a bit of neosporin on its foot but I didn’t want to handle its leg too much because it is so small. It has much more energy today at least!

thank you for your reply! I’m in east Texas and I couldn’t figure out what kind of bird it is from internet searches. I put it in a box with an old t shirt last night and I tried to give it some mashed chicken feed but it wouldn’t have it and I tried to give it water through a syringe and it didn’t want that either. I also put a bit of neosporin on its foot but I didn’t want to handle its leg too much because it is so small. It has much more energy today at least!
If it’s anything like the fledgling robins we have in northern Michigan, my understanding is do NOT give water. They get their fluid intake from food. In fact, that may drown them. You could offer a wet mash of food, but they’re really counting on the parents to feed them. Best bet, animal rescue/sanctuary if you can find one to take them.

Other than that, what clover said with the antibiotic and the box.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom