Found blood in broiler room

Poultrypassion29

In the Brooder
Apr 4, 2022
Hi guys and gals.. thought I'd ask for some help because I've gotten help from here before.

So I recently started a broiler business. For our first batch we started with 100 chicks (this was a few months ago) anyways out of the 100 only 2 died and the rest we grew with no hiccups at all. So for our next batch we decided to expand a bit and do 200 chicks.. well all was going well we only lost about 4 chicks.. they are about a month old and we noticed they were starting to fight over food.. so much so that we had to put 3 chicks down due to injuries. So we had to buy a few more feeders which we thought would help.. we eventually had to move about 50 chicks to our brooder room at the bottom of the property.. that helped and we had less fighting for about 2 days... so this morning I went to go feed them as I usually do but I noticed some blood.. both on a few of the chicks feathers and in there excrement (I did check all of the chicks and I couldn't see any physical injuries)

Just some more information:
We change out the bedding( shavings) atleast once a week or more if it gets dirty faster.
They are on grower mash.
They are Ross 308 chicks

I'm wondering if there is enough food and enough food slots to go around with the 200 chicks. Maybe introduce another feeder (or 3!) and see if the fighting reduces.

Also, with you going from a 100 chick run to a 200 chick run in the same (?) room, maybe crowding is an issue?

I'm wondering if there is enough food and enough food slots to go around with the 200 chicks. Maybe introduce another feeder (or 3!) and see if the fighting reduces.

Also, with you going from a 100 chick run to a 200 chick run in the same (?) room, maybe crowding is an issue?
So we did add more feeders. We have those hole feeders, pan feeder and a few others. They are in the same room but we did have that room made to fit 250 grown chickens at a time.. what has me worried is the blood I found in the excrement this morning. I'm not sure if there's a disease or if they're just sick. But thank you for taking your time to reply

Which chicks are the ones with blood in their droppings? Are the the ones that you moved to the other building? If so, it sounds like they might have been exposed to Cocci and need to be treated with Corid. How large are your feeders? Meaning how long they are and how many birds can eat without crowding?

I use 6 foot long feeders with no tops, actually they are cut 4 inch pvc pipes. I use 1 feeder per 10 birds spacing them far enough apart that when birds are around them they do not bump into each other.

Blood in the stool usually means coccidiosis. I would start treating the whole lot of them with Corrid asap. Fighting usually means overcrowding, regardless of what you think should fit in that room, the chickens seem to feel otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom