Found chick next to nest - thought was dead but started moving

Nestew

Chirping
May 20, 2021
I found this little guy/gal next to broody. Would have been first to hatch. Thought was dead and took out when adding other bator chicks for the hen to adopt.
He/she started moving in box when brought indoors (it has been ridiculously cold this week).
Put in incubator I just sterilized from hatch yesterday to warm up and dry off. Anything else to try to do to save? Know it’s a long shot will make it since no idea how long since hatch that he/she wasn’t under momma.

Attachments

• EC91F8E5-8C68-4EBA-8C6D-5FCB07EFDEE8.jpeg
    EC91F8E5-8C68-4EBA-8C6D-5FCB07EFDEE8.jpeg
    364.8 KB · Views: 16
Considering how wet it looks in the picture, I think you are doing exactly what needs to be done - drying it off and warming it back up. Chicks SHOULD be drying off under momma, then a few days later momma will take them out to feed and drink. I would probably keep this one in here until it is fully dried off and able to stand on its own.

On a side note, I've heard about wet chicks getting "stuck" to the incubator floor. So it might be worth checking in a few hours to see if you can put it up on its feet, if it hasn't done so itself.

Thanks. It’s in my office so I will be in here all day. Eyes open occasionally and look clear. Flips about a bit curled up. Will keep posting updates because while I want to save if possible- also don’t want to suffer.

This has been a rock solid broody through her first set with viable eggs (she went broody in winter and I had to break her after 3 weeks but thought the practice was good). She only gets off the nest every couple of days so when I noticed her out went to check on the eggs and was thinking they weren’t gonna hatch.
Saw this little one then (through the screen). By the time I came back with some adoptees - she was back on the nest but this one was still in the corner not under her and not moving. 🤷‍♀️

And we’re up and peeping! Still falling over a lot and super unsteady.
Assuming she (going with she since it is certainly the preference) keeps improving- couple questions
1) I have some save a chick probiotics and electrolytes- assuming I should try to get some into her in about 24 hrs? Or just honey water like I do with the rest?
2) would she do better in the brooder with some chicks that hatched Tuesday or should I try to get her back to momma (who also some has some Tuesday hatched and is sitting on 5 more that may or may not hatch)?

Pics

Attachments

• 5A118223-4216-401E-8CA7-0304B382A979.jpeg
    5A118223-4216-401E-8CA7-0304B382A979.jpeg
    342.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 6507440C-FD8A-4516-87DB-58373FD42F7F.jpeg
    6507440C-FD8A-4516-87DB-58373FD42F7F.jpeg
    343.9 KB · Views: 6
So you removed the chick that is only hours hatched from the mother? The easiest thing to do would be just place it back under the mother, or in front and let it waddle back underneath. I am glad your incubator is working its just a lot of work for you.

Chicks do wander off and if the nest has anything more than 1/2" lip it probably cant climb back in, but the mother will also tend to either move herself or get the chick back. It's a lot of extra work for you when the first three days of chicks development under the mother is potentiall zero human interaction. For me the first three days after hatching is the most maintenace free and worry free time for the new chick. I even try to avoid meddling when the chicks are wet out of the egg, it is the worst time to interrupt the mother and newborn.

I certainly didn’t take it from her on purpose 😀 truly thought was dead. It was not moving and did not appear to be breathing. I was close to disposal but had set the box I put it in on the counter inside. It was 49 here overnight (cold snap in NW AR this week). Thought it had rolled off for hatch and wasn’t able to get back in.
Once it was inside for a bit - I had looked in the box and saw it move slightly. Plugged back in and rushed it into the incubator to try to save.
There is no “nest” really. I had moved her to a separate coop and she has just been sitting on them on the pine chip floor. Which is what she was doing with them in the other coop.

Back
Top Bottom