Found chick

awaters

In the Brooder
Sep 14, 2023
Hello,

I am hoping to gather feedback from anyone who has experienced this before. A friend of mine found a chick roaming his work this morning and brought it to me. I have a brooder set up so shes comfy for now but I have no idea what she's been through. I believe it is a 1.5 month Golden comet (she has all her feathers). The brooder is large and she has grower feed and fresh water available. That being said, I have made sure she ate a little before leaving her be. She is super friendly and came right to my hand to snag a few nibbles. During her last round she stopped and plopped herself down. She's been quietly peeping to herself and remains relatively quiet. My concerns are she was alone in 30-40F nights and she does have a slight droop to her tail. I've slid the brooder plate above her and she didn't budge. I'm hoping she makes it through the night, if she does, is there any advice anyone can give me? She will not be integrated in my flock for the next few months just as an aside. Thank you.

Awe, that's sweet of you to take her and take care of her.

If it were me, I'd be alternating Poultry Cell water and electrolyte/probiotic (like Hydro-Hen or other powder types) to give her an uptick of anything she's perhaps missing from having no decent diet and even in case she picked up some bug, it'll help her fight it off.

Speaking of bugs, you've probably already checked but if suspected, I'd dust her and the brooder with permethrin powder which should be repeated in 10 days.

Good luck with her! Post a picture when you get a chance.

Welcome to BYC by the way! :frow

Thanks for the response! I'm going to check my local feed store to see if they have anything. Attached are pictures of her this morning (I'm so glad she's peppy this morning). Let's hope she's a girl so I can keep her in my flock. Otherwise I may know a few people who need a rooster. Maybe we should start a poll.
Awe, that's sweet of you to take her and take care of her.

If it were me, I'd be alternating Poultry Cell water and electrolyte/probiotic (like Hydro-Hen or other powder types) to give her an uptick of anything she's perhaps missing from having no decent diet and even in case she picked up some bug, it'll help her fight it off.

Speaking of bugs, you've probably already checked but if suspected, I'd dust her and the brooder with permethrin powder which should be repeated in 10 days.

Good luck with her! Post a picture when you get a chance.

Welcome to BYC by the way! :frow

Attachments

• PXL_20240414_111617014.jpg
    PXL_20240414_111617014.jpg
    384 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom