Found Chicken!

JCchickens

Hatching
9 Years
Sep 26, 2010
Hi There!

We have a healthy flock and lost a chicken almost 3 weeks ago, no sign at all. We thought a predator ran off with her. Today we were searching the yard for eggs (the other hens have been laying around the yard) and we found the one we lost trapped under the deck, stuck between the ground and a basement window of our neighbor's house (shared backyard). She was barely moving.

We now have her out, in a box, and eyedropping her some water. We are trying to feed her some chick feed. She has now been drinking water on her own. We think she may be blind from being in the dark for so long.

HELP!

Thanks SOOO much.

Chanah + Jesse

I would assume she is severly dehydrated - try some Pedialyte. I would keep her in a warm, darker, quiet, environment for now. it may taker her time to adjust back to some normality. I don't know how chickens eyes work but I know as a human it takes time for our eyes to adjust to the sunlight after being in the dark.

Scrambled eggs are always good for chooks needing a boost. I've used good quality wet cat food too. It's high in salt for a chicken, but I've had sick chooks take it when nothing else would tempt them so for the short term I think it's pretty good.

My gosh, it's a miracle she could last that long. Poor baby, I doubt that darkness would cause her to lose vision. Maybe it's a matter of her body shutting down from starvation and dehydration. I think she needs a vet and IV's to give her a fighting chance. Even tho she will drink, it won't be replacing the correct fluid balance etc.

That is an amazing chicken. I really hope she survives. I agree, hydration is critical. I would also suggest plain yogurt, my girls really like the greek style. Good luck and let us know how this turns out. Don't put her back with the other birds until she can get back on her feet. For all others that have lost a chicken, look high and low, wherever a bird can squeeze into. It really is surprising how often this happens. We just never hear about finding a bird and it surviving after such a long absence. BTW,
welcome-byc.gif

Thanks SO much everybody! She is still alive, doing better. We have a heat lamp on her, and we have been giving her hard-boiled egg yolk mixed with water and also a dish of just water. We have been giving her the yolk in small amounts so as not to shock her system. This has definitely helped, as well as the heat lamp.

She is responsive, and has stood up and done 180 degree turns several times. She shakes her head fast to get the water off her feathers. All of her movements are at the speed of a chicken that is well.

We are SHOCKED and so happy that she is alive and doing so well. We will keep the updates on our little Dino.

Our speculations are that she continued to lay for the first part of her disappearance and maybe ate her own eggs, and maybe had a little water trickle down. But no one really knows. We are going to investigate the scene further today.

Thanks again.

Chanah + Jesse

could she maybe have a nest of eggs hidden there and has been coming in and out to eat/drink (at times you havent been home so havent seen her?) maybe she hasnt been 'trapped' all that long hence her good recovery? id be going looking for a nest of nearly hatched eggs...3 weeks is about the right time...no?

This is an amazing story. What breed is she? I would have to say you have a healthy flock for one to last that long with limited food. I say limited because I'm sure there were a few bugs around. Wishing her the best. Keep us informed.

Back
Top Bottom