Found dead Orpington in the coop this morning

jhubb

Hatching
7 Years
Sep 3, 2012
We got 18 chicks in April 2012 and haven't lost any until this morning (Sept 2012). She was my favorite, most bossy little chicken of the whole flock! She was found dead on the floor this morning in rigarmortis but her neck was flexible. I wonder if she got smothered/neck broken by the other birds when they were roosting. There have been times you can see the chicken on the bottom of a bunch of birds when they are roosting in the coop.

I am just sick about it and I don't want it to happen to any of the other birds. Any suggestions on how to discover the cause of death?

Hello and welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Sorry to hear about your loss. They shouldn't be piled on top of each other when they roost. Have you got enough roosts for them all and is the coop warm enough? My best advice for finding what caused her death is to take her to a vet and ask him to examine her.

Greeting from Kansas, jhubb, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Sorry to hear about your orp. Always hurts to lose one. I agree with sumi in making sure they have enuogh roost space. Maybe she was egg bound?? Hope you find the cause.

That happened to one of my BO hens at around 1 year old. I never knew why she died. She seemed "off" at bedtime and I found her the next morning. I am beginning to think the hens we buy are somewhat fragile. Probably neeed to raise the heritage breeds
So sorry about your loss.

Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad to have you aboard. So sorry to hear about your hen. Did you check her throat for any foreign objects? We had a hen that choked to death on a mouse. It is always hard to lose one. :hugs

Thank you everyone for your thoughts! We added extra roost space, although they had enough already...they just like to huddle with each other. Not sure we'll ever know...but it has us extra careful in taking care of our flock! Six months ago we didn't have any birds....and now I can't imagine us without them! I love this site and I am sure will be using your input again!

Back
Top Bottom