found dead quail in the cage please help need advice

jm93030

Songster
10 Years
Jun 4, 2009
This morning I went out to feed my quails and I found one dead . The weird thing about this is that the bird shows signs of being eaten , it has a big hole betwen the neck and the breast but no blood or bleeding .

the hole is about 1.5 inches round

what animal can do this

the birds are in wire cages 2 feet avobe the ground.

I will post a picture when I get back from work

thank you

It didnt have ants in the morning
33418_pict0007.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Since there was no blood, I think that indicates the hole may have occurred post-mortem. I wonder if it died of disease or some hidden injury, and then the other quail pecked it?

I guess the another possibility is some predator got it through the wire but drank or licked the blood?

Finally, maybe the hole was some kind of wound or abcess, like a bed sore, that didn't heal, and perhaps that's what killed it?

My vote would be the other quail in your pen. Sometimes birds just die... and are then prompty eaten by cage mates... Bill

Quote:
I will never think of a quail eating another

I will post the pictures later may be you guys will get a better idea

Quote:

Sometimes they don't wait for a dead quail to peck and eat quail. Good thing is that if you catch them early nuf they will heal from quite a beating.

Quote:

Anyone who has kept bobs for any length of time has seen this to some extent... pheasants are even worse.... Bill

Quote:

Anyone who has kept bobs for any length of time has seen this to some extent... pheasants are even worse.... Bill

Now that you mentioned this

There are some Mexican speckle in this pen , but I never seen them peck on any other bird

the mexicans are the minority in this pen

Rule #1 Bobs And Coturnix Dont Mix Too Well.

The Wire Looks Like Chicken Wire With A Poly Netting Over It? If So Anything Could Reach In There And Get Ahold Of The Bird. Judging By The WouNd And Lack Of Blood My 1st Guess Is RaptOr. Coons Usually Pull Head Or Legs Off And There's Blood, Raptors Grab The Bird With Talons And Kill It Before They Pick Off Meat And Often Times They Start On The Shoulders Or Breasts Where There's More Meat

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom