Found dead snake with glass egg

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by cindydj, Nov 17, 2007.

1. cindydj

cindydj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2007
    My mom called me and wanted me to come get this dead snake.....she said it looked as if one of my glass eggs was in it....sure enough one of my glass eggs was in him. That egg has been missing for several months....I went to the barn and sure enough he had been in there because there were broken eggs...Funny thing is my mom live about 5 acres behind me....I just mowed the pasture between us and I guess it ran him out.....yeah! Now I know where my eggs have been going..

2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Wow! That's amazing! And he survived all that time with that egg in him! Is that what killed him, too?
    I sure am glad you found out what happened and that you won't be bothered by that particular snake again!

3. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    do you mean he ate an ornamental egg, not a real egg? wow.

4. cindydj

Jan 16, 2007
    yes he ate the ornamental egg.....I have had a problem with dogs or something lately. They got in the barn and got to some nest and got the hens, eggs and some chicks. I found a egg in the yard from that but I have been down to one egg for a long time so I just don't know wht to think. My mom said years ago they used glass eggs for the snakes not to make them lay....This is the second snake and he was small about 3 foot and skinny the one we killed at the start of summer was about 6 feet....

5. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Where there is one, there are many.

6. cindydj

Jan 16, 2007
    Lone Cowboy you are exactly right.....and I know there are more. My chickens free range and love to hang out in the open horse barn and we will stack square hay bales in there for the winter and I am always looking for the snake when getting the hay.......as long as it is a chicken or bull snake I will be better at least it hasn't been a copperhead or rattler.....I keep a guenea but he doesn't pay any attention to the snakes....

the chickens really really cut down on the flies or I would run them out!

7. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    I started blowing my eggs out and putting concrete in it and i havent had a snake problem in a long time.

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I don't know much about this, other than what my SO explained to me, but....
    I found a strange looking gourd out in the field behind my garden. My SO explained that it was an egg gourd and that his grandma used to grow em to kill off the snakes that would get in her henhouse to eat the eggs.
    These gourds look almost a real egg. The theory is that after these gourds are mature you put em in the chicken's nest and when the snake swallows them they die, because they can't digest em.
    Works kinda like your glass egg huh?

9. cindydj

Jan 16, 2007
    Funny isn't it and to think I had these eggs to get my new hens to starat laying....not knowing they would kill the snakes, yeah!

10. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Poor snakey...[​IMG] Not a good way to go...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by