1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

found dead

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lrayle, Aug 28, 2014.

1. lrayle

lrayle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2013
    NC
    we got 4 chickens from a guy getting out of the chicken business because we wanted the coop and the chickens just came with it. We have had them 3 weeks and they all seem to be doing good but when we got home today the brown leg horn was dead. Husband looked her over good and could not see any bites or feathers pulled out. They are in a 12 x 12 dog lot and the coop they came with is in the middle of it. They have not been outside of the coop because we have other chickens and I wanted to be sure they were ok to come out. What killed my girl?

2. chanceschickens

chanceschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2014
    Was it a long Trip

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

It is possible that your new birds have been exposed to a strain of cocci at your place that they are not immune to and perhaps your bird developed a case of coccidiosis. It's always high risk when bringing in new birds. There are many things that could have killed your bird but that would be my first suspicion. I would also deworm these new birds as well, if you haven't already. Don't want to introduce a nice load of parasites to your existing flock when you do integrate them.

4. lrayle

Jul 19, 2013
    NC
    no about an hour or so round trip

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    In addition to possibly being exposed to a new strain of coccidiosis, could they have been too hot in your coop if they weren't outside of it? I would treat them with Corid (amprollium) for 5 days if you think it was cocci, worm them, and look them over for lice and mites.

6. lrayle

Jul 19, 2013
    NC
    they have been here for 3 weeks and they are in the same coop they were in when we got them They all look very healthly Husband wants to let them out but I said no Not till we know more Like I said I cant think of anything its not worms their poo look normal The lot is a 5x5 and the coop sits in the middle of it It is cleaned every other day and I cut them grass and give them meal worms plus their laying mash and corn mix

7. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Chickens can be LOADED with worms without you seeing a single worm in their poop.

8. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

x2. Which is why I deworm all new birds.

I'm confused about how much room you have these birds in. Your first post says a 12x12 lot with the coop in the middle, another post says a 5x5 lot with the coop in the middle. So how big is this coop that they have not been out of in 3 weeks? If they are confined to a coop in the summer heat I'd be thinking heat stroke.

9. lrayle

Jul 19, 2013
    NC
    Sorry I confuse my self the dog lot husband said is 10x10 and the coop is 4x4 I wonder is the leg horn chicken is maybe is not very good with heat like you say

10. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Leghorns are great with heat as long as they have shade and water. Is your run shaded? And the hens can get out of the coop can't they?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by