found duckling

achake01

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 15, 2010
Not sure this counts as an emergency, but someone came to my doorstep with a lost baby duckling.
I have four week old chicks.
Can I introduce it to the brood? Can chicks and ducklings co-exist?
Any help appreciated.
Anne Marie

Good question- and remember that the chicks have a much sharper beak than the duckling if any of them do treat it aggressively. The chick starter feed is the same. How old does the duckling appear to be in relation to your chicks? I hope someone out there has run into this situation before for additional info.

Last edited:
another consideration is possible transmission of something the duckling might be carrying (parasites, virus, etc.). Me, I'm a gambler so I'd probably put them together if the duck looked healthy and just keep and eye on them for how they interact.

Be careful what you are feeding the baby duck. They can not handle medicated feed.

Also depending on the breed of duckling - it might grow a lot faster than the chicks. I have my Indian Runner ducks and chickens together in one large open pen area. They seem to get along fine.

chicks and ducklings can go together.
i have mine together all the time.
The only thing is that make sure that your chicken starter is non medicated .
The pecking order will be there the first couple days but when they know there place again it will stop. the duck can peck back. mine do.
good luck

well, i introduced it to the brood and they pecked at him; i got nervous so took it out. the duckling is so tiny; the four-week old chicks are more than twice his size.
should i try again?

Back
Top Bottom