"Found" eggs..........are they still good??????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gabby3535, Aug 31, 2009.

1. gabby3535

gabby3535 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have been waiting "patiently" (not!!) for my young pullets (2 Ameraucanas, 2 Light Sussex, and 1 BCM) to lay their first eggs.
    This morning, I went into the coop to clean the dropping board, and my BCM was in one of the nest boxes..........standing over
    2 new eggs!!!!! Whoopeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Being the silly, new chicken owner that I am, I thought 'these' were her first 2 eggs........(one of them was still warm when I
    picked it up, the other was 'room temperature'.....)
    Well, this afternoon, when I finally thought to check the other nest boxes (I am not always too bright about these things, I guess)..............the nest box way in the back..........under the droppings board.........had 4 more eggs in it!!
    So she has OBVIOUSLY been laying for 6 days now!!! And I never noticed!!!

My question is this tho'..........
    the weather today is cool, with the high only in the 60's............but prior to that, it had been hot and humid
    here in northwest NJ.
    Do you think the 4 eggs that sat for 5 or 6 days, in the back nest box......and the heat.......are still edible?????
    Is there any way I'd be able to tell, or 'test' them???

Anyhow........tonight I will dine on my first, home-grown, organic eggs (the 2 eggs I found this morning) for dinner.........poached eggs on toast, yippee!!! What a treat!

Here's a picture of the (belated) first 6 chocolate brown beauties..............
    [​IMG]

2. CheerfulHeart2

CheerfulHeart2 Creative Problem Solver

Apr 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Put them in water. If they float. ..bad. If they stand on end....getting old. If lay at bottom, just fine. Congrat's!

3. JessicaAndHerChickens

JessicaAndHerChickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2009
    I'm jealous! I want some eggs!! still waiting for my girls to pop some out....

4. Charlene

Charlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    I had a similar experience, and found my pullet on a nest of 8 eggs! I did the float test, and also broke them into a small dish and smelled them before using them. They were all fine but the weaher had been only in the high 70's then.

5. thecochincoop

thecochincoop Chillin' With My Peeps

I keep mine out on the counter all the time in the 80's in the house and they are fine. crack them in a small bowl first just to make sure if you are worried

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by