Found first eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CityFolk, Aug 8, 2009.

1. CityFolk

CityFolk In the Brooder

Apr 2, 2009
    My chickens are 4 months and 1 week old and I found their first eggs today cleaning out their coop. Is it okay to finish out their current feed bag before switching to the egg laying feed?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  2. MariposaMama

MariposaMama Songster

Aug 31, 2008
    Mariposa, CA
    Are they on starter or grower? I think I would get the bag of layer and start mixing it with what they are eating now and gradually add more layer to the mix until that's all they are eating. From what I understand, it's easier on their systems to make the change gradually instead of all at once.

Congrats on your first eggs! [​IMG]

3. trilyn

trilyn Songster

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    Quote:Yep, I agree with MariposaMama. I can't do that just yet as I have mixed ages in my flock-they're all on grower with a calcium supplement on the side.

Congratulations on your first egg!! I found mine yesterday too and got another beauty today!! It totally rocks! [​IMG]

4. chickenshagg

chickenshagg THE ALPHA ROO

Apr 18, 2009
    St. Charles, MO
    Mine just started laying this week they have been on starter/grower but I went out today and bought them a bag of layer. I am mixing the starter and the layer together in their feeder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: