Found four silkies in a box on my driveway - questions!

FortFusterCluck

Songster
May 4, 2022
Central Kentucky
We live in a very rural area where everyone has chickens. But our road is very isolated and people often ditch roosters, dogs, cats, etc over here.

Yesterday, I found a box in my driveway with four little silkies. They are probably four months old or so. They still have a lot of baby fluff.

I washed them and checked/treated them for injuries. Several had ear injuries, I assume from getting pecked by other chickens. Maybe that's why they got ditched?

I have a flock of 9 laying hens (3 years-9 months) and 2 roos (9 months) who were raised together and share the flock great. They are BIG boys. They're all barnyard mixes of Orpingtons, Marans & Wyandottes

Questions:
1) Can Silkies integrate with a regular sized chicken flock? Or are they too small and fragile?
2) If I keep them all, do I need to keep a Silkie Roo?
3) Will my big Roos break the little silkies during "happy time"? 😯
4) What else do I need to know about Silkies?

1) Can Silkies integrate with a regular sized chicken flock? Or are they too small and fragile?
Yes.
Only if you want to
Possibly, though there likely cockerels if they were dumped.
Low roosts, silkies can't fly. (At all)
Remember to quarantine for about a month and see but no touch integration. :]

They are probably four months old or so. They still have a lot of baby fluff.
If they still have any down instead of feathers, they should be much younger than 4 months of age. Many chickens are fully feathered by age 6-8 weeks (before 2 months.) Of course, Silkie feathers look rather like down or baby fluff anyway, which can make it harder to tell.

Questions:
1. Yes just make sure you take your time. I have done this before, and you have to do longer introduction periods.
2. NO, not unless you want to.
3. And it just depends on the rooster, but just watch them.
4. I own silkies but not a total expert, so you have to do some research on your own. Sorry.

We live in a very rural area where everyone has chickens. But our road is very isolated and people often ditch roosters, dogs, cats, etc over here.

Yesterday, I found a box in my driveway with four little silkies. They are probably four months old or so. They still have a lot of baby fluff.

I washed them and checked/treated them for injuries. Several had ear injuries, I assume from getting pecked by other chickens. Maybe that's why they got ditched?

I have a flock of 9 laying hens (3 years-9 months) and 2 roos (9 months) who were raised together and share the flock great. They are BIG boys. They're all barnyard mixes of Orpingtons, Marans & Wyandottes

Questions:

Poor babies!😞. Lucky that you found them!🥰
I keep my Silkies separate from my standard birds. I used to have a mixed flock with both types but unfortunately even after years of being buddies, flock dynamics can turn on a dime.
Many folks successfully keep them together but these are birds that were generally raised together from a very young age.
If you want to keep these little sweeties you’re better off making a separate space for them.
And no you don’t have to have a rooster with them if you don’t want to.
If you want to post photos here we can help you better determine their actual age.😊
Silkies differ in many ways from “regular“ chickens. They cannot fly so they make an easy target for predators. Often times their crests obscures their vision, this helps if you trim it a bit. These ones that you have may be too young for this to be an issue yet.They are sweet little birds and generally very docile. This is one of the reasons besides their difference in appearance, that makes them a target for other birds to harass them.
Their feather type makes them more prone to mites. It is also not good for them to get wet and then be in a drafty space.
I know this sounds like a lot of trouble, but actually if you have a nice, safe enclosure that is dry and protected from the elements they will do fine.😊

Thank you for your replies and input @nuthatched @LadiesAndJane @Backyardhomestead921 @NatJ @sourland

The babes are doing well, happy and healthy. They are fluffier and bigger by the day. 🤣

I'm not sure we'll keep them, but for now they are safe and well. I'm not 100% but I think it's 2 boys and 2 girls. Here is a general picture, no need to scrutinize, I'm not worried about the details. Maybe an age guess?

Attachments

• 20220910_165220.jpg
    20220910_165220.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
Thank you for your replies and input @nuthatched @LadiesAndJane @Backyardhomestead921 @NatJ @sourland

The babes are doing well, happy and healthy. They are fluffier and bigger by the day. 🤣

I'm not sure we'll keep them, but for now they are safe and well. I'm not 100% but I think it's 2 boys and 2 girls. Here is a general picture, no need to scrutinize, I'm not worried about the details. Maybe an age guess?
I would guess anywhere between 8 to 12 weeks of age. Probably closer to the older end of the range.😊

Back
Top Bottom