Found hen dead, cut her open, looks like her liver exploded *GRAPHIC PICS*

possumblossum

Songster
11 Years
Mar 11, 2010
Blount Co., TN
We found a 1 yo Aussie hen dead just outside the nest box this afternoon. Her lower abdomen was extremely swollen but soft. I assumed something had backed up in her reproductive system, but when we cut her open, her intestines were coated in liver tissue. See below.

There were no other obstructions or abnormalities in the abdomen. The intestinal content was a bright green liquid very similar to bile.

Has anyone had experience with this before?

Did you identify the actual liver itself? Cuz I'm not an expert, but if I saw that in a human I'd say it was cancer metastases.

It LOOKS more like coccidiosus in advanced stages. It attacks the digestive system and cause lesions on the intestinal tract. THIS is why chickens with cocci tend to have bloody stool. This photo makes it a little easier to understand why.

Did she act ill before this? Was she listless, lethargic and/or not eating well? Did you see blood, mucus, or pink color in her poop?

You're right. It's not lesions. Its the RESULT of lesions that have "eaten through" the tissue. This is internal blood clotting. That's exactly what it looks like when blood clots up on the inside of a body. Plus, a one year old hen would not have such advanced stages of cancer, and not in the form of several tiny "tumors" all over the place.

I apologize for the delay in response, I had to work over yesterday.

1) I will not be sending her off for necropsy because it is nearly $100 to have it done and the closest place is UT Vet school which is nearly 60 miles from here.

2) There were no open sores or perforations on the intestines. We pulled them and cleaned them from the gizzard to the junction at the vent and did not see any leaks, seepage, or even inflammation. Cocciodosis would have created severe inflammation and open sores.

3) We did not locate the liver, hence my assumption that this was liver tissue. We process our roosters every year, so I do know what the liver looks like.

4) There were no signs of lethargy or listlistness. The bedding in the run was dry and all feces was well formed and normally colored.

She was in a tractor with one rooster and three other hens. These were breeder Aussies that have been laying consistently for ~ a month. There were no developing eggs in the oviduct or uterus; the cloaca was clear with no signs of inflammation.

Back
Top Bottom