Found Hen Dead, Egg Yolk Trailing From Vent (vent picture)

StardustChicken

Songster
Mar 9, 2020
Louisiana
My 2 year old Turken, Vinnie, passed away today
Screenshot_20231017-124139-854.png

At around 7:30am I fed them and she was acting as normal as everyone else, trailing behind me with the rest of the flock in the breakfast parade to the food container. It was 47°F this morning so I kept the teen chicks in the brooder until it warmed up. It got to 65°F around 11am so I went back out to let the chicks out.

This is when I found her dead under the tree in the middle of the yard on her belly. I hoped it was just dust bathing...I looked her over for any wounds but found none.
IMG_20231017_120010614.jpg

Yolk was trailing from the vent and her abdomen was swollen and the only part of her that was still warm. Could an egg busting inside really take her out in only roughly 4 hours? Or could there have been an underlying cause? She didn't have any issues with shell-less/thin shelled eggs so this is really out of nowhere...

My Wyandotte hen died in a way similar to your girl. She laid every day very steadily. She was good in the morning but she looked deathly pale in the back of the run near her end, she ended up dying an hour later. I looked her over and the only thing off about her was yolk yellow coming out of her vent. The day before she was fine and had given me an egg.
Sometimes it can be a very bad break far up in her system that cuts their insides and they bleed out internally.

Back
Top Bottom