Found hen dead this morning!

so sorry you lost your girl, but at least you have closure and don't have to worry about the rest.
hugs.gif

The cost was 50$ for what she called a gross necropsy. The vet is someone that I had previoulsy taken a goose that was hit by a car, (not my goose, I found her in the middle of the road). I had called a vet and was referred to this vet back then, so this time I called to see if she takes chickens, and she actually said she sees quite a few chickens. One was just brought in the day before that was attacked by a pit bull. It was worth it to me to pay to find out what was wrong with her, but I certailnly understand not having the funds to do it, as I have been there before! It would have been more expensive if she had to send tissue to a lab, that would have cost 140$. She didn't need to do that because it was quite obvious to her that it was an injury. I am not sure if I would have paid the 140$ for further investigation, but that is probably what it would take to find out if it was a disease like Marek's, salmonella or cocci, if the injury hadn't been noted. Since those are the things that the other chickens could be affected with, I might have paid the money, but my hubby would not have been happy!
I am happy to have found a vet that I can take my chickens to, and one that I really liked. She also rehabilitates wildlife and has a large volunteer staff.

Ifoose and dmcann, I am so sorry about your losses. It is very hard to lose one. I do take great comfort in knowing that mine died from something that wouldn't affect the other chickens, so I hope that is the case with yours also. There are so many things that can happen, especially if they free range, like mine do. I am even wondering if one of my goats head butted her-who knows, still a bit of a mystery even though I know it was an injury. It was sad to put them away last night and to only count 12, she will be missed.

Back
Top Bottom