Found in a Medieval Cookbook

Quote:
*Blinks* No, they've got sources that are valid, I take it back, it's accurate. The Vivendier is in fact a 15th c. French cookbook. Wow..

*shakes head* Wow. that is.. just.. yeah.

Mean, torturing and unnecessary is I believe is the correct response. *shakes head* Thanks for the link though!

I could say something about it being a Fr***h recipe, but I don't want to cause offence!!
duc.gif

PeiTheCelt wrote:
*Blinks* No, they've got sources that are valid, I take it back, it's accurate.

Actually, on the first page, with the Table of Contents, if you scroll way down there is a section called "Oddities." On that page is place called "Odd Humor." This is where I found the recipe so it led me to think it is a joke recipe they put in the cookbook just for fun.
idunno.gif
I just thank God I did not live during that time!​

Quote:
Actually, on the first page, with the Table of Contents, if you scroll way down there is a section called "Oddities." On that page is place called "Odd Humor." This is where I found the recipe so it led me to think it is a joke recipe they put in the cookbook just for fun.
idunno.gif
I just thank God I did not live during that time!

Except they specifically reference extant cook books, so it's more of a "Good lord these are the odd ones" than "Haha, funny us." (I think).

I would think if they were making it up completely and going for humor it would be made up cookbook references.. But maybe I'm too literal.
smile.png

I still think they really did it.
Look at the details of the recipe. They are specific enough that we could recreate this (if we were horrible and mean).
Remember; these were people that couldn't watch "Jack@ss" on TV. They had to invent their own perverse spectacles....

Kinda adds a new twist to that poem about the 4 & 20 blackbirds baked in the pie..

"And when it was cut open
The birds began to sing
Wasn't that a tasty dish
To set before a king?"

Back
Top Bottom