Found Injured Rooster

tmfineg

Songster
8 Years
Jan 1, 2012
Gallatin TN
It looks like a dog ripped off his tail feathers and the injury is 1-2 weeks old. There are some possible teeth marks on side of tail and a thick flap of skin on top. Under and around the flap it is a blackish color. Around the outer edge of wound it is dark blue/green. Yesterday I cleansed with a saline solution and peroxide, then put betadine and triple antibiotic ointment. The bluish color lessened by this morning. Under the tail it is an angry red color. I also trimmed as many feathers around the area as i could. I have him inside the house in a pet carrier.

Here are my questions: Are their any antibiotics I can get at a feed store that will help? I have never given an injection before so I am hesitant to do that, especially on a rooster that does not know me. What do I need to watch for? My main concern is a deep infection. I am feeding him a high quality organic feed. I also chopped up a hard boiled egg (I read to give extra protein), some rice and tomotoes just trying to find something he likes. He is acting pretty normal all things considered, just quiet.

Also one eye is mostly shut and swollen. I am concerned about it being infected under the surface. There appeared to be dried blood abound his eye, but I don't see a pronounced injury.

No one around me has chickens, I have no idea where he came from. My neighbor found him on his deck perched for the night. Could a rooster travel a mile or more like this? Did someone drop him off? Very sad...

Poor rooster. It is so kind of you to take him in and I am glad he is eating something. I have given Penicillin G injections to a chicken with a similar injury and it worked well. I got the medicine at the feed store. I can understand your concern about giving an injection, but I will need to do a little research on what other antibiotic would be appropriate for such an infection, because Pen G is what is usually recommended for injuries. The bluish color is probably bruising. Keep putting the triple antibiotic ointment on the wounds and as long as that ointment does not have pain relief ingredients in it you can put it on the eye, too.

Considering you are able to clean his wounds and put ointment on him, I think you would be able to give an injection, too. My hen barely flinched when my husband and I gave her an injection in her breast muscle.

Hard to say where he came from. I suppose if he was chased he could have come from pretty far away. If you nurse him back to health, then you will have to think about what you will do with him in the long run. Are roosters allowed where you live?

I checked another thread where an injury was treated with Duramycin 10 from the feed store and it is put in the water. See this link for the dosage: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=592958&p=26

A
vet seemed to approve of this antibiotic (post # 282 of the thread) but I think the rescuer had to dip bread in the medicated water to get him to inject enough of the medication because he didn't like the taste of it in his water.

I will see if i can find it, I will have to wait until after the holiday. I will let you know if I work up the nerve to try the injection.

I just treated him for the second time and he looks a little better, the overall color is slightly better, I guess time will tell. It was quite a coincidence because my dog injured one of my hens 2 wweks ago, so I had all a makeshift triage center all set up. I am hoping eventually I can let the 2 recoup together becuse it is getting too cold for either one to roost alone in the small extra coop we have. We introduced them and the hen went for his food which perked him up and got him eating along side her.

I did research and I am pretty sure he is a Buff Orpington; I see you have some Orpingtons, as well. Once I rehab him I have a frieng with a flock of 6 hens with no rooster that will take him. I have 4 hens and a rooster already. I do not live in city limits, however, I am in a subdivion. My neighbors don't mind my rooster, but I think 2 would be pushing it.

Thanks for the advise!

I've administered injections into leg muscles. The drum stick or thigh. It feels safer to me because I'm not near lungs, heart, or large arteries, or the spine.

Try the leg if you find you must use an injection.

114985_roo_roo_day_2_pic_2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom