Found Injured Rooster

Here are pics of the injury. I am wondering how long ago this roo was injured. It looks pretty bad, but it looks better than yesteday. The color is improving. I will post again tomorrow on his progress.

That's fairly terrible. My BO rooster sustained a dog attack similar to your's and he healed up fine and was normal. Irrigate with sterile saline and give oral antibiotics. I'd bet he heals up fine. Chickens have an amazing ability to recover from terrible wounds.

I'm glad it is just the tail that is injured. That green color is different than I expected from what you first described. I can't really tell if it is from dead tissue or bruising from the picture.

The color is a little better today. I have been using saline to flush it, with just a little peroxide on the worst part. Then I lather with antibiotic ointment. I wish I knew how long ago he was injured. My original guess was 1-2 weeks, not I think it was a week or less.

He was acting pretty normal today, I even put him in my smaller hospital coop with a hen recovering from a run in with my dog. It seemed to perk him right up and they both enjoyed the company. His eye is swollen half closed. The antibiotic ointment I have has pain reliever in it so I don't want to use that. What can I flush his eye with?

Also when can I keep him outside? I am concerned about his exposed behind in the cold. I live in the Middle Tennessee area. Thanks for the advise!

You can use sterile saline eye wash for the eye. Clean the area first with warm wet compresses. Don't rub. Blot. Q-tip swabs are great for detailing the area. Use lots of these so the infection goes into the waste can and isn't spread to good tissue. Once you get the area clean then use the saline. Blot dry.

Back
Top Bottom