Found Muscovy duck, now what?

sgtamber

In the Brooder
Mar 12, 2020
Last night we took in a muscovy duck, that had been hanging out at the soccer field by my house. She was hungry and very thirsty. I currently have two female ducks and eight chickens. They are kept in a large fenced area of our yard. I currently have her separated from the flock so I can work on integrating her into the family.

The thing is she seems sad and lonely. I know it can take awhile for my current flock to fully take her in. What should I do for her? I could possibly get another adult female duck and try to integrate them at the same time. Also how can I entice her to stick around and not run away? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately they are not. I'm not sure what kind they are (pic attached). I adopted them about six months ago fully grown from someone that didn't want them anymore.

Hopefully I can find her a friend.

Attachments

• PXL_20210216_164219482.jpg
    PXL_20210216_164219482.jpg
    983.6 KB · Views: 11
I have Muscovy, Runners and Buffs, I have one Muscovy who hangs out with the Runners and Buffs, But she also has Muscovy friends too. [I call her Miss In between] since she likes to be with both groups. It's always good to have at least 2 Muscovy when integrating into a flock so they can hang together. Not as apt to get picked on when there is more than one. BLESS you for taking her in. As for keeping her around clipping one wing will keep her home.

Thanks! I'm on the hunt for another one. They don't seem to be very popular around here. I've gone out to check on her and talk to her multiple times today and it's like she just stands in the same spot.

Last edited:
Are you other ducks Muscovy? If not, you should get another Muscovy because Muscovy ducks and quackers (Pekin, Rouen, Runner, etc) don't really get along.
I got my Muscovy drake from my family who rescued it in the city as a duckling. They brought it to me because I had a bunch of runner ducks already, so I just tossed it in the enclosure with the runners. The Muscovy definitely ran the show in there. I tossed in some guinea and chickens a little later, and the Muscovy did murder one of the chickens but it never harmed any of the runner ducks.

I moved the Muscovy out of the pen when I found out that the offspring of the runners and Muscovy would be sterile. Then I added four Muscovy hens. They're much more submissive, and they follow him around but he largely ignores them. He does follow me around everywhere, though.

Back
Top Bottom