Found my chcicken dead by the water

Then I think it maybe had parasites and collapsed and died and the ants ate some of it. Have you dewormed your chickens anytime? No.. seems like it was pecking by the water ..and then was dragged up walked up the the grass and died.. I see a drag marks..
No
Oh no. I'm so sorry about your little chick. Sometimes it's difficult to narrow down what could have happened. Was it's body wet? Maybe if it got wet it got too cold.
No
Yes it most likel7its almost y fell in teh pond then got out but was already to cold, and died.
Its almost 88 degrees here..still to cold?

No

No

Its almost 88 degrees here..still to cold?
So the body was not wet? That probably rules out drowning or dying due to being cold, unless it laid there long enough for the feathers to dry. Even in humans, water temps of 50-60 degrees can cause hypothermia in under 15 minutes. A chick doesn't have protective feathers and will quickly succumb to cold if they are wet and not tended to quickly.

I am only theorizing based on the information given to me, however.

If it was a snapper, the chick would have been eaten I'm sure.

If there are no obvious signs of injury or illness, you can either do a necropsy with a lab, or dispose of it and try not to worry too much. It's easy to drive yourself batty wondering what happened. Twice, once in my first year of chickening, and again in my second, I had a sudden unexplained death. On one I performed a (very novice) necropsy and found no indicators of what happened, and the other I just buried and kept an eye on the rest of my flock for any signs of illness.

Back
Top Bottom