Found my chicken dead

Oh, I was thinking it had been pulled out by something. Sometimes nocturnal animals will come out during the middle of the day. Don’t be sorry for being so descriptive, it helps in situations like these. With that and that she had past problems, it might have all be due to what ever was causing her prior pasty butt. I don’t know much about chicken diseases. My guess is that the pasty butt might have been a symptom of whatever caused this to happen. Maybe autopsy her or see if a vet can? I’d hate it to end up being something that might spread to the others, though I’m doubtful since it sounds like she was the only one having problems.
I think it was more prolapse than attack. There were no signs of attack. But I just wondered why it would spontaneously prolapse? 🤔☹

Sorry I can’t really help you, but sorry for you’re loss. :hugs
A prolapse issue and other hens taking advantage of the situation (cannibalism) is what comes into my mind. No expert but I have read such issues.

If she'd had ongoing issues with pasty butt as an adult she might have had some kind of internal malfunction that resulted in a prolapse. :(
It sounds like a potential prolapse to me too. Poor girl. If it happened that traumatically, unless you were right there with her to see it right away, there may not have been anything you could have done anyways. Sudden unexpected deaths like that unfortunately are bound to happen 😞

So I went out to check on my chickens and I found 1 dead in the pen. She is almost a year old and 1 of my best layers but she had what was like pasty butt. It's been better...no problems the last month or so but when I found her her foot had intestine wrapped around it???? What could've caused that??? No blood today and she layed an egg this morning. She's a top hen. Never been bothered by the others and nothing got in and attacked her? Any ideas???
Was it intestine?
What did her vent look like?

If she'd had ongoing issues with pasty butt as an adult she might have had some kind of internal malfunction that resulted in a prolapse.
I wondered if the 2 problems were related too
Absolutely.

What were the pasty butt issues?

Was it intestine?
What did her vent look like?

Absolutely.

What were the pasty butt issues?
It was intestine. Her vent looked normal but over the last 7 months or so she has had what I would describe as pasty butt. She didn't have it as a chick but I'd have to clean her up every couple of weeks because of an adult pasty butt. She didn't have problems with it over the last 2 months so I thought things were getting better then yesterday I went out and she was in the pen with prolapse intestine and her foot was caught in it! 😫

Oh no. I'm so sorry. When pasty butt happens in adult chickens, it's called Vent Gleet. That sounds like gleet as well as an extreme prolapse. So, so sorry. :hugs:(

Back
Top Bottom